Is My Horse Normal Or Rare??!!!!

Gemmahorselover

Jun 23, 2008
Stafford, West Midlands
www.bebo.com
Hey. I have owned my horse for just over 10 months now and every month I am becoming more and more concenred. She is a 16hh mare appaloosa. Only she doesnt look like one at all. She is 100% pure bred appaloosa but yet she is completely solid black. I cant seem to find any other people or pictures of completely black Appalooas anywhere. I dont know whether its what she will look like for the rest of her life or whether she will grow out of it. I mean she turned 5 years old in June 2008 but surely her spots should have come out by then. Any tips, advice, comments???:rolleyes::eek::p;):confused:

I haven't seen any jet black appaloosa like your mare before but I have seen solid bays appaloosas and greys with no spots!

im not overly familiar with the breed but always thought they were slimmer built than your mare, she sseems quite chunky built but as i say im not an expert. ive also never heard of a pure black x

Shes normal:D

The greys with no spots are few spots.

Few spots are the maximum expression of the Lp gene, and solids are the the other end of the scale.

(Very) roughly statistically speaking 25% of Appies are fewspots (homozygous for spotting gene), 50% are spotted (heterozygous for spotting gene) and 25% are solid (don't carry spotting gene).

So yes, your mare is normal :)

Competely normal, I have seen solid coloured Appaloosa's, she's just one thats failed to colour out. What breeding is she?

We have an appy gelding - An out bred one yes, but is an extablished out crop - therfore technically a pur bred (strange eh!? ) (his sires a crabbet arab which is a recignised out crop of the blood lines)
Fidget horse in question is dapple grey, no spots at all, started out chestnut - is 12 this yesr and still very very darkly dappled!! (my 4yrold connies lighter!!) Hes not technically spotted, altho technically he is.. spots are confusing!

Basically your mare is normal :) Not all are spotty, and or have typical characteristics (striped hooves - our boy has 1 stripped hoof) and dappled eyes (forget the scientific term!)

newrider.com