Is it usual to have to buy the saddle for a loan pony?

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
Question in the title really. I've never come across it before but I've been to try a pony and they've just come out tonight to see our field and all was going well until they dropped the bombshell that they want me to buy the saddle and bridle.

I do understand that they've not long bought it but this pony is 19 with arthritis so in reality I don't know how many years I'll get out of her (hope that doesn't sound awful - obviously I hope its years and years!).

I just don't have the budget for it - thats why I'm loaning not buying. I have money saved up but that is my contingency for vets, hay, rent, shoes etc.

What does everyone else think? maybe its more common than I think??

I think that is unreasonable in my own opinion, i would expect a loan pony to come with all tack, especially a saddle as i would like to think this would have been fitted correctly etc.

Yes exactly - it was fitted to her (which I'd have expected) but at the end of the day I could end up a year down the line with no pony but a very expensive saddle!!

I've loaned horses and loaned out horses and never had to buy tack and I certainly wouldn't have expected the person that loaned my horse to have to buy anything!

The owner was saying "I think you'll find its par for the course". I thought maybe I was just being thick!!

But it is a Cliff Barnsby one so I appreciate it would have cost a lot and he says its really new but surely they would have known it was a bit silly to spend silly money on a horse they knew they wouldn't have much longer (she's been outgrown by their pony club daughter).

:confused:

I would happily buy the pony a saddle that would be of my choice budget etc and when the loan ended it would be mine to keep.

It sounds like they have bought one for lots of money and now want a return on this money.

Whats the going rate for a 2nd hand saddle the same make as their ?? You could offer this or get yourself a cheaper make to keep.

I would have thought that she could put something in the loan agreement stating the tack was theirs? If you want the pony suggest this and also offer a refunable deposit but I wouldnt pay for the tack

Also just wanted to add, does this saddle fit ?? could they be trying to sell you a saddle which will need replacing ?? Just from experiance of buying a horse who's saddle was a shocking fit when it came home and was looked at in the cold light of day.

Hmm I'm no expert on fitting saddles so couldn't say whether it fitted or not although she was fine when I rode her twice.

I did mention that I could buy my own saddle which would be synthetic as thats more like what I could afford and he said "hmm well I think we really should make some effort to sell her saddle really".

He also said I could pay for it in installments if I wanted! I'm not sure I DO want!!!

Very unusual!

My YO's daughter recently took on a loan horse and that didn't come with tack but only cause the horse had been out of work for 9 months and they didn't have any that fitted. My YO's daughter is borrowing stuff until she's fit then will buy some but her horse is young, fit and healthy and will be with her for at least 2 years.

My first loan in 1996 I bought my own tack as it was not included in the loan.
I will never forget buying the tack. It was a cob size Jeffries hunter bridle with laced reins and a 2nd hand Thorowgood griffen saddle.

Now as a several times loaner.

I included full bridle and turnout rug as they belong to the horse.

I have loaned saddles but on other times not. Sometimes the saddle has been shared between my horses so I kept it or it is not suitable for loaner as too big or small. I did explain to loaner at the time and they sourced a saddle

Just re-read the thread. They want you to buy the tack they have? Sorry I would buy my own or question the loan!

Last edited:
Hmm I'm no expert on fitting saddles so couldn't say whether it fitted or not although she was fine when I rode her twice.

I did mention that I could buy my own saddle which would be synthetic as thats more like what I could afford and he said "hmm well I think we really should make some effort to sell her saddle really".

He also said I could pay for it in installments if I wanted! I'm not sure I DO want!!!

As in you should make an effort to agree and buy it or they will make the effort to sell it if you do not wish to buy it from them ???

Sounds weird, I would offer them a silly price, state thats all you have. If you do buy it I would want to know who and when it was fitted.

I'm not really sure what he meant Libbylou?? Although it sounded in disagreement with my suggestion of me buying something else!

I don't think the "that's all I can afford" thing will work as he's keen for me to pay in installments!! But I can't really afford to be doing that either really as I'm sure its already going to be expensive enough what with rent, shoes, insurance, hay, feed etc to pay for every month!!

On my previous loans, I brought bridles only. I kept them when the loans finished. The horses went back with what they came with, nothing more apart from stirrup leathers which I replaced as the others broke, through wear and tear.

I really think it's a very cheeky attempt to make some money back on the saddle, which they obviously made a mistake in buying. I really don't see why you should be forced to buy it. Even if you do pay in instalments!

You're looking at loaning their pony, not looking to purchase their saddle. They should sell the saddle elsewhere if you're not interested or just include it in the loan.

If/when I loan Kai out he will go with a full wardrobe - everything I've bought for him will go with him. No use holding onto it as then the loaners will only need to buy the same stuff, I'll know what he goes with fits him well and it will be added peace of mind.

Where my horse is kept is a Horse Sanctuary, and some of the younger horses that are brought there for rehoming the owner may loan out to suitable long term loanees. However, as many of the horses do not come with tack/wardrobes, its a question of finding something that 'may' fit them in the communal tack room. many, just buy their own and build up their own equipment. From what I hear its very much an individual decision on the part of the owners when they decide to loan out, and what type of loan they are going on.

From what you describe Lwtb, it sounds like your owners bought a very expensive saddle in the beginning (which was their choice) and know they probably won't get what they want for it if they put it on Ebay or traded it in for a new one for a new horse they might have.

Its always worth being upfront with people and letting them know exactly what your position is and where you are coming from re any concerns and also what you can afford.
If they want whats best for the pony they will probably meet you somewhere in the middle on price etc and not just say - well you can pay by instalments! If you offer a realistic sum of what you can afford and stick to your guns then they have a choice. You cannot make their minds up for them, but you can certainly be in control of what you do and the decision that is right for you.

On another note, before OH bought his sect. D mare he had her on loan for a year. She came with a saddle that was wholly inappropriate so we had to purchase a replacement anyway.

Horses - and owners for courses I'm afraid, do what you feel is right. Hope you get on OK.

O)...

newrider.com