Is It Me? Or Him? Or Both Of Us?

Jun 10, 2015
Okay... So Lucius Is So darn stubborn and Jerky sometimes. EHEM.. Earlier I was riding him and he just cracked into a canter and went straight to the barn. I lost my stirrup and he almost made me run into a tree!!! Ugh I got so mad at him, But I just lunged him and boy did he go crazy.^Don't worry xD he learned his lesson that time and after that he was okay^ I Didn't fall off. He also has a strong problem with not stopping, Especially if he's cantering, if you Sit back and pull the reins, He acts like nothing is happening, Is it cause he's mostly western, and think like when you say Go, It means GO And hurry!? Is there anything I can do? Is the ONLY Option hiring someone to train him??? Sometimes he's SO Good and sweet and listens, But that's only... SOMETIMES... It bumps my confidence riding him and I know I've been rejecting riding him as often as I normally do.I really want to happily ride him and have a good time. Am I doing anything wrong? Or is it him? ThankYou!!!

A western horse should be light to the cues, unless he's a barrel horse and they tend to be all go and no whoa! ;)

A little story about my old arab Bo, I had a very experienced lady ride him once, however she was used to English/hunting. So she got on him and gathered him up and he popped straight into canter, then he stopped flinging her forwards, then popped back to canter in a bit of a panic. She got irritated with him and said he was misbehaving and I had to explain that she had in fact cued him for everything he had done :p She had got on and picked the rein up and closed her leg round him -- a halt>lope cue for him, then she dropped the contact in the 'excitement' and sat down -- his whoa cue, then as she popped forwards again she put her leg on to catch herself and scrambled to grab at the reins -- he took that as halt>lope again :rolleyes: he was very sensitive to weight and light leg cues. So the moral of my story ;) think closely about what you are doing, although it may be correct on another horse, trained in another way, it might not be working for your chap. Of course there is every chance he is taking advantage too, but trying to work that out is difficult without seeing him, perhaps getting a trainer to come and train both of you might be an idea, then they can assess the overall picture and hopefully get you on the right road :D

How can he head off to the barn, are you riding with easy reach of it?
Have you a school or coral you can use with a gate between you and your barn.

I wouldn't be leaning back and just pulling any horse however trained. Circle, one rein stop or give and take. Not a direct pull, they just keep going.
If he is western trained and you have no knowledge of riding western then lessons do sound a good start.
If he is stubborn he may simply not understand your cues and thinks stuff this I am off to the barn.

How can he head off to the barn, are you riding with easy reach of it?
Have you a school or coral you can use with a gate between you and your barn.

I wouldn't be leaning back and just pulling any horse however trained. Circle, one rein stop or give and take. Not a direct pull, they just keep going.
If he is western trained and you have no knowledge of riding western then lessons do sound a good start.
If he is stubborn he may simply not understand your cues and thinks stuff this I am off to the barn.
No I don't, And he's halve english

You got lots of good advice last time you posted this. Have you tried any of it? If you have and you're still having the same problem I'd say you really need to find a good instructor to work with you both before you have an accident. In case you can't find the last thread it's here.

http://www.newrider.com/community/threads/help-barn-sour-horse.245793/#post-2980460

I'm assuming you've had his teeth and back checked and also that his tack fits properly? If his saddle isn't a good fit for example it might explain the rushing off to the barn when ridden but behaving himself when lunged without it.

It takes years and years to learn to ride properly and even those of us who have been riding for 30 plus years still have regular lessons. You need someone to watch you on the ground so you can learn to ride him effectively. If you carry on as you are you are likely to have an accident. Either he doesn't understand what you are asking him to do, or he is choosing to ignore you. Without some help you are not going to improve things.

is there nobody at your barn that could help you with him? I did give advice on your previous thread and I do still stand by that advice. From what you are saying with him only doing it sometimes it does suggest that he is more than likely taking the mick and lessons will help you with stopping him doing so. If he canters off can you turn him at all? is he just ignoring you totally? You obviously love your horse and want to do well with him or you wouldn't be asking advice but if you continue to try this on your own you could get hurt and lose confidence altogether. You're already saying sometimes you don't feel like riding him now.

Reactions: Keren@serendipity
newrider.com