Is it me or has the world really gone bonkers?

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Have just read on BBC news an article about the new EU directive which says that by 1st September this year no company will be able to make or sell a vacuum cleaner with more than 1600 watts power!?!
Not satisfied with that it also goes on to state that by 2017 that will be down to 900 watts, for goodness sake, I'm all for saving energy but come on, all that will mean is people will be using lower powered machines but taking three times longer to get the job done surely?
I think what bugs me most is the fact that they just enforce the rules and we get no say what so ever, same with light bulbs, I found a 100w bulb in my garage the other day, a genuine, full up 100w bulb, you know one of those old fashioned things that when you switch it on it lights up instantly and is bright enough to stop old folk falling down the stairs because they can see where they are going.
Actually I wonder if I could make some money on ebay with my genuine retro light bulb.

Hehehe, get that retro bulb on ebay! I had seem something on the news headlines about vacuum cleaners. How will that affect people who need a powerful one for dust allergies etc? I do lots of hoovering because Mr T has asthma and can soon end up in a very bad state if he's exposed to dust.

He he I think I might just go and buy a few in readiness, so that if there is a black market I can be a hoover baron! I might even pimp them out :eek:

I'm the same Trewsers, my OH has asthma too so we need a decent one to filter the dust out.

They'll be putting a stop to all kinds of things next. Forcing us to grow beards and have hairy legs because we're using the wrong type of battery.......

It might all be a scam to try and worry us into buying up super powered hoovers. Just like when Land Rover announced a few years back that they were ceasing production of the hardtop 90 defender. Yeah right. Certainly panicked a few folk I believe. They still haven't stopped making them......

Henry has 1200 and is pretty powerful so 1600 should be plenty?

I have a red Henry for doing the stone floors at the house, but his suck is rubbish on carpets compared to my old hoover. I still miss him, he died years ago.
I've a rubbish "value" vac from Argos for the caravan. I really need to invest in something better.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
My best hoover was a purple Dyson animal, Id buy another of those in a heartbear. Long as you keep on top of cleaning filters etc they are superb for pet households!

Lol my mum still has a carpet sweeper - along with loads of hoovers. She has house cats and is always cleaning up and getting rid of cat hairs.

I have a red Henry for doing the stone floors at the house, but his suck is rubbish on carpets compared to my old hoover.

You have to have a good suck on a hoover don't you, mine almost lifts the carpet off the floor! Ours is brilliant for removing cat hair and dust, it's one of those hospital grade thingymagigs and I'd hate to be without it.

You have to have a good suck on a hoover don't you, mine almost lifts the carpet off the floor! Ours is brilliant for removing cat hair and dust, it's one of those hospital grade thingymagigs and I'd hate to be without it.

Yeah, my old hoover that died on me was like that, the carpets in the old house used to nearly come up!

If they stopped building houses, we wouldn't clean them. That's energy efficient!
600 going on the farm we used ride at, get our hay from. Now everyone has to source somewhere else. They are building on arable land.

I am going to stockpile Henry hoovers (as the EU will be reducing hoovers to 900 watts in 6 years). I could not actually clean my house properly without them. It's a ridiculous directive - of course something needs to be done to reduce energy emissions, but hoovers? REALLY? Why not pick on something that actually matters, like aviation, or cars! But no, we can carry on merrily burning gazillions gallons of petrol every day with no comeback.

He he I think I might just go and buy a few in readiness, so that if there is a black market I can be a hoover baron! I might even pimp them out :eek:

I'm the same Trewsers, my OH has asthma too so we need a decent one to filter the dust out.
My husband was thinking the exact same thing!

newrider.com