Is it lameness or stiffness?

Sep 16, 2004
Land of Leeds
Visit site
I cant decide. I've had a thought recently that Aramis's bone spavin is clearing up. A week last Friday she was long reined after a week of no exercise, and i was running late so she didnt get her bute before. Anyway, it was incredible that she wasnt actually lame at all. But then in trot when asked to use her back end and stride out a bit more you could see she was slightly short in her bad leg, it just looked like stiffness, or very very subtle lameness.

Then we trotted her up last week on hard ground thinking it might be worth a proper look and she was still dragging her toe, although not as bad as before. The vet came 4 weeks ago and said she was looking alot better already - she only got diagnosed at the end of August.

She's certainly not in any pain, she happily gallops up the field and is very happy in herself, and happy in her work. I just cant decide whether she is just stiff after the bone spavin or has still got it and still slightly lame.

Any ideas? The vet will be coming out again in about 2 weeks.

alot of horses with bone soavin are just a little unlevel , which sounds like what you are describing

do bear in mind that if she is on daily bute that the bute from previous days would still be in her system

also , it is common for slightly unlevel horses in thi situation to actually go better once they have been worked for a while

i hate to say it but i think you could still be a long way off , & as such she will ceratinly still have the spavin (you say you are not sue if she sill has it)(sorry can't do the extract fron yr post thing!!)

has she actually been xrayed??

just a language thing - but the spavin won't go away. Once the joint is affected, you may get the joint fusing (which would reduce the pain but may also affect the movement). But it won't go away.

The hock "joint" is actually a series of joints - was only one of them affected ?

(Fi has most of the hock joint affected one way or another)

the fusing can take a long time & in some cases never actually happens naturally although there are proceedures that can be done to artificially fuse the joint

is yr vet to assess her with or without bute in 2 weeks?

the only way to know for sure if the joint has fused is to xray again , i'd be pretty surprised if she was there yet but obviouly i'm not aware of the degree of fusion that was already there

as cbv says the spavin never goes away , it is basically a spur of bone

it is usually the lower hock joint that is affected which is why alot of horses that sucessfully fuse can work fairly well afterwards as the range of movement is not that great anyway in the lower joint

newrider.com