is it ever the right time to buy a horse?

I haven't heard from the YO so i think that idea out the window.

I am still keen tho.

fliting from thinking 'ok just forget it move on.' to thinking 'no, i want THIS horse' and thinking of ways to make it possible.

There are a couple of options.

Could speak to YM and ask if there is somewhere on the yard i could tie that i can park beside as this would allow me to groom (and play with!) pony in the morning whilst little one has her nap in the car. This is what i do if i am in Glasgow visiting and go to help with my cousins horse. I realise little ones sleep pattern will change but summer will mean i can go down in evening etc so that will also change things.

There is another livery place i could speak to. It is really just a women i know who has her own pony plus a livery and a couple of little shetlands but she has an outdoor school and stables/grazing and is close to my house. Wonder if worth speaking to her. She is a nice women.

Im so torn. I keep reading up on fjords, they sound so perfect for what i want. I never see them for sale either.

The seller said she has folk coming to see him this weekend so would let me know as didn't want to waste my time.

Argh i hate big decisions. Hubby giving it 'i think its madness but its up to you':cool::cool: How annoying. I wish he'd just say 'right lets go get him!!' Unlikely!!!

I phoned about my boy on a friday afternoon, the owner told me someone was coming to see him on the saturday and they were coming from England so were bringing the horse box with them!! I panicked and told her I would go down that day...two trains and about 7 hours later I came home having paid a deposit!

I totally impulse bought but I knew I couldn't let anyone else have him and though I've doubted myself many times I love him to bits...sometimes you just have to go for it!

With regard to children, I've parked the car at the top of the yard and just popped back and forth to check on my daughter while she's been sleeping. I wouldn't do it routinely but sometimes I have no choice (I have no family up here either!) I have to wait for my OH to get home from work before I can go out, sometimes I don't get to the yard til 7-8 but my horse knows he doesn't get done til I'm there so its fine and because everyone has gone home I can do what I like in peace!

I'm only riding at the weekends and lunging or long reining 1-2 evenings per week if I get time, we do clicker training in the stable to keep his mind active and make him work for his dinner!

It IS possible, honest!

I phoned about my boy on a friday afternoon, the owner told me someone was coming to see him on the saturday and they were coming from England so were bringing the horse box with them!! I panicked and told her I would go down that day...two trains and about 7 hours later I came home having paid a deposit!

I totally impulse bought but I knew I couldn't let anyone else have him and though I've doubted myself many times I love him to bits...sometimes you just have to go for it!

With regard to children, I've parked the car at the top of the yard and just popped back and forth to check on my daughter while she's been sleeping. I wouldn't do it routinely but sometimes I have no choice (I have no family up here either!) I have to wait for my OH to get home from work before I can go out, sometimes I don't get to the yard til 7-8 but my horse knows he doesn't get done til I'm there so its fine and because everyone has gone home I can do what I like in peace!

I'm only riding at the weekends and lunging or long reining 1-2 evenings per week if I get time, we do clicker training in the stable to keep his mind active and make him work for his dinner!

It IS possible, honest!

Soonest id be able to go is the weekend too. MMmm not looking likely is it.

Thin is i don't want to make a rash decision either. Its hard to find a balance.

Where abouts in scotland are you??
Anywhere near me? Im twenty odd miles south west of Inverness.

Not too far then, I'm just outside Elgin towards Inverness, My boy is up at Burgie but came from Arbroath.

The worst of it is that if you went to see him, he MIGHT not be right but if you didn't get to and he sold you would always be wondering WHAT IF!?! I had a sale fall through (on the dealers side) before I bought Brodie and I always wonder what happened to him :(

That is exactly how i feel. I keep thinking if i go and see him and he scars the pants off me then i'll be happy having lessons for the next 18mnths then look again and ny them little one in nursery.

BUT if i go and see him and fall in love ... itll be a different story!!

I have emailed to ask if its first come first served. She could solve my dilema with saying it is first come first served because if he is as good as she says he'll be snapped up.

We nearly bought a house in Piperhill when we moved up here. Think that is on the road out towards elgin from inverness isn't it? i think!!

Oh god, I've been here for 6 years but my Scottish geography is rubbish! If it aint a big city I don't know it!! lol!

It's a horrible situation to be in, I know. Can you call her and have a chat, in my experience people seem to think you're more serious if they have a good chat with you on the phone? She might agree to let you come see him before making a decision if she knew you were really keen and what you had gone through to try and organise space in your life (this is the exact reason I've told my OH I'm not having any more children, my daughter is great-cam't wait till she's old enough to be into ponies!- but she does seem to make everything a bit more difficult, I can't just go spend time at the yard whenever I want! I don't say that often 'cause I know how selfish I sounds....sorry!

I really really hope that you get him! No....sensible head on...I hope whatever happens works out to be the best thing, who knows, if you dont get him you might find that in 18 months things really ARE so much easier and find the dream horse/pony.

newrider.com