is it ever the right time to buy a horse?

Ha, too ploddy - Flip's too fast for me and he weighs 750kg!!
Have a think, I'm pretty busy moving house at the mo but have a mate who lives in Stirling so don't really need an excuse to go annoy her (and avoid furniture building!) Only thing I don't have anyone horsey to take with me - I'm not so sure about the solo missions - but up for the challenge. Give them a call and see where it goes.
Is it a dealer, or RS? Would be easy if its an RS - I could go for a lesson!

Apparently neither Rs or dealer. Just a private advertiser. Girl said they bought the fjord for her partner to learn on but they are going to have a family now so giving up horses.

I have to admit that having seen that ad you linked to on another thread, all reason would be going out of my head too and I'd be ringing :eek:

I have to admit that having seen that ad you linked to on another thread, all reason would be going out of my head too and I'd be ringing :eek:

I know, i'm trying to weigh it up. my hubby might divorce me, my kids might have to be fostered out but i'd have a gorgeous fjord pony:p:D:D

This is killing me! Might have to email girl again and have a chat.

I really think you should go see it, like you say, good horses don't come up often in Scotland.

Mine was not at all good when I got him and 3 years on I'm still working on it!!

I have a 14 month old daughter and my horse is on DIY livery with assistance as you mentioned you would have, though I go up every night to check on him (once partner is home to have daughter!) I generally only ride at the weekends, this suits me and my horse fine. He could never be used as working livery and no-one I know would ride him for me but I occasionaly find time to lunge him through the week (summer evenings are better than winter!) but he is turned out every day, in at night (his behaviour deteriorates if he's out 24/7!!) and I know he is well cared for even when I'm not there.

Sorry, bit of a long post but just wanted to show you that it is do-able!! Good luck! x

Well ive been busy today! Went to see YO to see if there was any possibility of some arrangement with them if i bought this horse. Thinking that if i bought him and put him on full loan to them, i could ride him in my lessons and build a relationship with him over the next 18mnths and then once little one goes to nursery he could go onto livery at same place. Hopefully settled and happy. Plus i'd have 18mnths of lessons on him. YO said have never done anything like that but he would have a think and speak to the girl about him to assess suitability. Plus would have to have everything in writing so everyone knows where they stand.

In the meantime i have emailed the seller to say what i was thinking and see if she'd be happy with that. i know alot of people wouldn't want their horse going to a riding school but i trust this place and have confidence in them. They treat the horses well and teach people to ride kindly.

Still waiting to hear from seller and from YO. Ah well can only ask!!

might be pie in the sky but no harm in asking.

I thought seeing as the riding school are quite short of ponies at the moment it might suit them to have him for the next 18mnths. And i'd only buy him if he is quiet enough for me which also means quiet enough for RS.

They don't do working livery or anything along those lines but i thought id put it to them.

I bet after all this excitement he'll be sold:mad:

i have to disagree, there are a LOT of nice horses in scotland. My most recent purchase is a scottish born and bred welsh D ;) the gems up here do go by word of mouth and through riding clubs and pony clubs. this one only recently caught my eye - what a super mare
http://www.horsemart.co.uk/advert/14_yrs_14_2_hh_black_aberdeenshire/83559
I guess the criteria for us purchasing our first horse was set by our parents. They were very insistant we could ride anything, hack anything, tackle an XC course and were profficient in stable chores. They were also very insistant we were prepared to do everything for our ponies. Working livery/full livery or loaning and sharing was never an option, even when i had 2 horses and was sitting my highers at school. was still up at 5am mucking out even before my finals. You sound like you've thought everything through thoroughly and planned everything which is excellent :) i could never have a horse and let it go to an RS, it would break my heart but that's me. If you can cope with it, and seeing others on your 'baby' then it could be the perfect option.

Be very cautious with private sales. i will never purchase from a private seller. dealer or breeder for me as we were stung badly with a private seller who doped up for our viewing and vetting. get blood samples done, even if they are never tested at least having them in storage will give you comeback should things go belly up.

i have to disagree, there are a LOT of nice horses in scotland. My most recent purchase is a scottish born and bred welsh D ;) the gems up here do go by word of mouth and through riding clubs and pony clubs. this one only recently caught my eye - what a super mare
http://www.horsemart.co.uk/advert/14_yrs_14_2_hh_black_aberdeenshire/83559
I guess the criteria for us purchasing our first horse was set by our parents. They were very insistant we could ride anything, hack anything, tackle an XC course and were profficient in stable chores. They were also very insistant we were prepared to do everything for our ponies. Working livery/full livery or loaning and sharing was never an option, even when i had 2 horses and was sitting my highers at school. was still up at 5am mucking out even before my finals. You sound like you've thought everything through thoroughly and planned everything which is excellent :) i could never have a horse and let it go to an RS, it would break my heart but that's me. If you can cope with it, and seeing others on your 'baby' then it could be the perfect option.

Be very cautious with private sales. i will never purchase from a private seller. dealer or breeder for me as we were stung badly with a private seller who doped up for our viewing and vetting. get blood samples done, even if they are never tested at least having them in storage will give you comeback should things go belly up.

I would only let any horse or pony that i have go to THIS particular RS. It is where i ride with the RI i know and trust. It is a nice place. Having been to many RS's i can see why people wouldn't want this. But i trust this place. They treat the animal well and i have never seen anyone ride in a way that i would be concerned about ie no novices bouncing around like a sack of spuds on horses backs or pulling on their mouths.

I am very cautious by nature and would def have vetting and bloods etc done.

I'm glad you see nice ponios come up in Scotland as it takes away that panic of thinking 'there may never be another 'right' one comes up'. Actually when the time comes (if its not now) and little one off to nursery then i will go far and wide to find the 'right' horse. Word of mouth is how id prefer.

Well thought id update what has been happening.

the little fjord is actually ex riding school (not sure if i said this already) but for me this makes him sound even more what im looking for and i feel he would possibly fit in well to the rs for the time being

the seller says shed be happy with that. There are 2 folk going to see him already tho and i bet they'll snap him up. Im not sure how it works when buying a horse, is it usually just first come fist served type thing or would they see everyone (within reason) and then decide best home?

I haven't heard from YO but i emailed him this morning to say that this little horse was ex riding school and i actually think (altho i could be mistaken) YO bought some from the same sale when riding school closed.

So will have to wait to hear from him.

Also having not great response from my hubby who feels now isn't the right time and also assures me good horses, even fjords, come up all the time, of course he would know, he is an expert in this field:rolleyes: having never even sat on a horse. It probably seems ridiculous but i even cried about this last night (how wet am i) because i actually thought we might buy a horse and its such a huge thing and then i just felt hubby was raining on the parade. I sat in the bath having a wee teary moment like some spoiled child:eek:

Ah well i do believe what is for you won't pass by you as frustrating as this can be!!

Will see if yo gets back to me. I thought it was quite a good offer for RS. I will buy a horse that they are welcome to come with me to assess suitability for RS and if ok id buy and they could have him for 18mnths whilst my baby grows. I realise if he was to become lame id have to put him on livery but id be fine with that. Suppose its maybe more hassle for them than its worth but i thought it was an ok offer. Its one of these things could work out great or be a total disaster.

Extra slice of toast for those who got to the end here..:D

Unfortunately when it comes to horses i would say it is very much first come first served! So i would say get in there first or maybe ask the seller if she would see you before committing to someone else.

Depends on how much they want the cash. Personally if i had more than one person interested i would like to meet them all and then decide from there, but these people have a few to sell so you never know.

I would have to have the go ahead form YO before even asking the seller about this as i wouldn't want to waste her time.

I may just have to let this one go.

Will be booking myself some extra riding at the rs this weekend to get over the disappointment.

Even tho it has all just been talk this is the closest i have come to buying a horse and its emotional stuff. Its such a huge responsibilty and not something i take lightly. Went to bed thinking about this horse and woke up still thinking about it. I think the decision to have my first baby and 2nd and 3rd was far easier. Maybe because baby is a long process of conception, 40 weeks of pregnancy and THEN the baby. Not just a hand over the money and you are instantly reponsible for another life.

Buying a house was also less stressful id say...

You will get there and wouldn't worry about it.

Could you cope with the horse being on livery without it going into the RS? I have two youngsters (horses) and two small children, one 5 and one 2. I work full time and both my horses are on DIY.

Just putting things into prespective for you ;)

You will get there and wouldn't worry about it.

Could you cope with the horse being on livery without it going into the RS? I have two youngsters (horses) and two small children, one 5 and one 2. I work full time and both my horses are on DIY.

Just putting things into prespective for you ;)

I am a full time mum to 3 (5,3 and 16mnths) i don't have any family around me so no childcare unless daddy home and he works long hours.

The livery/rs don't offer usual diy livery whereby you do everything, their most basic involves them bringing them in (they live in a big herd) and then turning them back out after feeding unless you ring to say you need them in. So technically you don't have to be there everyday at all. This would make it manageable. But id like to see more of my horse tbh and don't think yard is the type where kids are welcome (not young ones anyway, maybe 5 up ok) Have never seen a buggy there ever.

Money wise id be able to afford livery but on top of that only one lesson per week max and at the moment i want /need more. The rs option would have allowed me to have a couple of lessons per week for next year at least.

Time is what i am short of mostly. (more money wouldn't go amiss obviously but time, childfree time, is what i am short of.)

There's never a right time! lol. I put it off and OH couldn't believe me - he said, "just get on with it and lets go looking for horses"!!!! So long as you've got access to lots of horsey knowledge and help and are on a good yard you can't go wrong (well, not much!!!). Enjoy and remember its all a huge learning process!

There's never a right time! lol. I put it off and OH couldn't believe me - he said, "just get on with it and lets go looking for horses"!!!! So long as you've got access to lots of horsey knowledge and help and are on a good yard you can't go wrong (well, not much!!!). Enjoy and remember its all a huge learning process!

I wish my hubs had your OH's enthusiasm for it. he is scared half to death about the whole thing!! But then he'll come out with random things like 'if we are getting a horse it needs to be a big clydesdale or shire so i can ride it too' he is 6ft 8, 18 stone and never been brave enought to even sit on a horse despite having had the offer many times. He can't see my point that a huge horse can be more money, feed, wormer, shoes, livery (rs has rising prices the bigger the horse) and i find handling a horse i can look in the eye easier, rather then looking up its nose. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't have any family here either, all mine is up north so either have to take the kids with me or leave them with OH when he is home.

My OH is supportive though, he wasn't when i got them, kept saying how much he hated them but now he loves them and wouldn't let me part with them.

Hello there, sorry I was just reading your post and wondered if you had heard anything today? I bought my first horse in August, and it is REALLY emotional, especially when you set your heart on one and then it all falls through. I did wonder, though, whether you would really need more than one lesson a week? If you were learning on your own horse? My horse is liveried at a RS, and my lessons on her are half the price compared to on a school pony. Am sure you have checked out all the costs already though. Initially, I was convinced that I'd need/want more lessons on my own horse, but actually when I got Tia, I realised that only one lesson was enough as I wanted to try out hacking on her and doing 'homework' in the school. I'm also like you in that I'm very time short (but due to f/t job and having to work away three days a week), I can only do stuff with her at weekends at the moment, and the odd bit of lunging mondays and fridays in the evenings, but when summer comes, just the thought of going for a ride in the summer evenings on my own horse makes me smile. I guess not being able to ride much in the winter is just one of those things.

Am sure there will be another horse right for you, if not this one, but in my experience, I found it a total nightmare buying my first. You do definitely know though when you find the one, and I didn't do it at exactly the right time for me either. But, in hindsight, I'm so glad I did buy her, because when things got bad personally a few months ago, she kept me going.

I will say this though, I can never ever get my trips to the yard down to less than three hours if I'm riding (including half hour travel each way), however much I try!

Sorry long rambling post, good luck with whatever you decide, he does look gorgeous though!

newrider.com