Is it a bit dodgy?

F

fataldream

We are looking for stabling close by. As it happend some stables have just been put up! It is on a bit less than an acre, has 2 stables and tack room. trough, and thats it. no electrisity or hose. Its a bike ride away from me, next village. Its perfect for what we need. Ok, a little more land would of been luuurrrvly, :p But we have an acre aswell, at nans so they could go back and fouth.

Ok, for that- and thats all it is, he wants 50 quid a week!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: We got him down to 45:rolleyes: still bloomin pricey, but its near and stuff.

Nan got talking to the neighborough "know it all horsey" person. :rolleyes: She said that they once rented that bit of land, and it flooded, absolutely water logged!! And that they had to move back to her yard. I was soooo gutted, i could cycle up and stuff, i was looking forwards to it!

Nan rang him, didnt tell him what we knew i dont think, and said that we would need to discuss things. He then said he wants a 6 month contract, and to pay all money upfront...noway, what if we wanted or needed to move? he then said that then he would have to have a huuugggeee deposite.

Now, i said to nan, if he wants that, dont bother. It seemed a bit dodge...plus if it actually did get water logged we would move.

I thought...why cant we sign a contract saying that we will give a months notice if we are ever to leave, and visa versa? and that any damamge done by us or equines borded there we pay for??

I dont know what to really do know. Its already a stretch to pay that much, but then it would be the same anywhere i spose with two horses...advice?

ETA: the stables face a country lane road, with a little yard. was just thinking what security would this be? there would be padlock, but i mean people could still get in and do god knows what...

Just for comparison, when we rented we paid £30pcw for 3 1/2 acres grazing, a 20x40m menage, water supply, 3 decent stables and a shed. The owners paid for additional fencing etc, all we paid was the £30pcw (£15 per horse).
If we ever went away, the field owner would look after our horses free of charge, and they would also check on our horses daily for us when they mucked theirs out (seperate piece of land) in the morning.
We have millions of offroad hacking, 2/3 local showgrounds, indoor school in hacking distance...

Blimey, it is expensive eh? But, it might be where were from. Im in somerset, bridgwater...are prices expensive there?

wow, what a rip off at £50 a week!! i've 2 oversized loose boxes (18 x 15) 4 acres of land, electric and water (included in rent), tack and feed rooms and that is £85 per month.

The landlords attitude concerns me. Deposits and payment in advance has alarm bells ringing. We didn't pay a penny til the horses were moved and a contract (drawn up by a lawyer) signed. Our contract states who pays for what and who maintains what, and also a contract termination period of a month.

Hmm but its soo close, and we need stables for winter. So you dont think we should go for it and look for something else?

We KIND OF know the guy. He is a friend of my friends dad. Didnt get any good impressions of him, but it is alot, spesh with nothing else. Plus, the trough is on the yard:confused: Not in field.

Way to expensive mate! Have you knocked on farmer's doors that are local to you? You may strike lucky and its probably the only way you can get a shelter and grazing. Even if you get a barn that they are loose in then you will be set up. Get knocking!!

Way to expensive mate! Have you knocked on farmer's doors that are local to you? You may strike lucky and its probably the only way you can get a shelter and grazing. Even if you get a barn that they are loose in then you will be set up. Get knocking!!

You may laugh at that but Gordo and I went knocking on farmers doors infact any doors when we were looking at moving our horses to grazing together!!

Gosh, thats dear ! Not enough grazing and possibilty of flooding, plus you'd spend the winter carrying endless buckets of water to the field through the mud.I'd look around a little more, it would be cheaper on DIY livery with more facilities and security.

These days you are not allowed a tap from the mains to a hose. Danger of backflow into water supply, so all new places will have troughs or have to have special non return valves fitted I believe. Im not far from you and round here you pay about £30 a week for 2 stables and a couple of acres so maybe £25 for your bit as its smaller? I only pay £42 a week for mine on part livery with an indoor school and all facilities. Thats each horse though but could you cope with more than 1 on such little ground?

Oh, didnt know that. I wouldnt be interested in it if we didnt have more land. But we have an acre at the back of the house so we can go to and throw. Its 10 mins walk, so could lead them.

I am not going to go for it, Nan saw what everyone put, and its a def no no. Thanks for all your help:p

i am on a huge farm (in extortionate hampshire) free trailer parking, huge stable and ad lib straw, electricity, tack room, haybarn, floodlit school. toilet, hot water...cross country course and direct access onto a sand tracked forest....£110 per month. (£65 per month grass livery)

Hmm similar where I live is £40 a week (2 acres, tack room, 3 stables), so is very dependant on where you live I feel that is reasonable, as at a yard 5 mins down the road assisted DIY was working out at approx £100 a week with basic facilities:eek:

Well I pay £375 PER YEAR for my 3 acres of grazing so I think you're all nuts.... lol

Lol we own our land, so technically only have to pay for feed and rugs, shelter and bedding... grow our own hay too. :p

newrider.com