Is Devils Claw anti inflammatory?

G

Guest 2

Hi I was wondering if Devils Claw is anti inflammatory?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an anti-inflammatory, and thus helps relieve pain in conditions such as arthritis where the inflammation is the source of the pain. However, in my personal experience I've only found it it be mildly effective, and would recommend boswellia for the same purpose over devil's claw every time.

I can only speak from personal experience really - which is that with my arthritic loan mare, devil's claw only made a little difference to her, whereas since using boswellia serrata (did a lot of googling and found it recommended by someone on the H&H forums, then after a lot more googling emailed a woman who runs an online shop called Natural Horse Supplies with Teq's details to see if she'd recommend it for her), I have noticed a big difference in her, she's much free-er now and seems to be getting on with it. It's also gentler on their stomachs than devils claw (which can cause ulcers in some horses when used long-term).

I don't know anything about hematoma's, but if you're looking at using a joint supplement, I'd be inclined to try it without the devil's claw and see how they get on first, as you may not need an anti-inflammatory - and equally, if you do in some circumstances you'd be better using bute instead.

Here's the link to the shop I used, I'm sure if you emailed her with any questions you have she could help: http://www.naturalhorsesupplies.co.uk Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

I have used Devils Claw in the past and can highly recommend it! I did find that the granuals were very effective, the liquid version was quite hit and miss.

Just on a personal note I would like to add that although Devils claw is a natural alternative to bute it is still a painkiller and anti inflammatory. Unless you have been recommened to use such a product by your vet, then I wouldn't. I also wouldn't work a horse on bute/alternative unless the vet has said it's ok to do so.:)

newrider.com