Is Daisy Ok.....

Thyme & Me

Nov 23, 2011
This is probably a silly question, but Daisy our Labradoodle seems too independent! She chooses to spend most of her time alone in her bed, in the utlility room. If I shut her out of her room she sits outside the door of her room. If I call her into the living room she comes, sits by my feet for a few minutes then goes away again. All my previous dogs have loved human company/attention.

She adores her walks and loves playing in the garden. We do both every day. She loves chasing balls and sticks, tug of war etc. She is very waggy tailed. If I call her for hugs/cuddles she enjoys them too. But she won't just rest quietly with us. Unless we are actively interacting with her she goes away. Why doesn't she like being with us? She is rarely left alone as I work part-time and can often take her to work with me anyway so it's not as if she is used to being alone. I've never had a poodle. Are they more aloof?

we had a miniature poodle and she was very loving and close so no idea really. what age is she, was she trained like this before you got her, as she may just think this is what she is meant to do. what happens if you bring her bed into the living room?

We've had her since 8 weeks. She was more affectionate as a puppy. It's been for the last 1-2 months she has spent more time alone. She turned 1 yesterday.
If we bring her bed in, she'll stay in it with us, so maybe I'll do that more. And if the fire is on she lies in front of it, but with the warmer weather it has been left off.

She knows she's allowed in - she's always been allowed in. When I work from home she used to lie next to me, but now she stays on her bed or in her 'Queen Daisy' spot in the garden (from where she sits and surveys her 'Queendom')

I'm sure she is ok, but it makes me sad that my constant companion is keeping herself to herself so much these days, and I'm not sure why. She hasn't ever been punished/shouted at, and the children have never accidentally hurt her so there is no reason for her to be wary around us.

I've had three poodles (plus the two we had when I was a child), and they've all been very loving dogs, who would rather be with people than anything else. The present one is the lovingest of all; what she likes best is standing on her hind legs to give you a hug (and she's tall enough to put her paws on your shoulders ..).

But then dogs are all individuals, aren't they, whatever their breed.

I think if you are genuinely worried and it seems quite a big change in her, perhaps just get the vets to MOT her and run bloods to check theres nothing underlying going on.

Its probably just one of her own little quirks.

One dog of mine loved her bed but I think she had been trained to go in it before I got her.

The last two dogs I have had have both had beds but never go in them.

It is quite handy I think when they do like their beds, means you can shut them out when you have guests etc.

Megan can be a bit of a pain, she insists on coming everywhere, even to bed and quite often she gets in the way. I have a cushion that I sit on and as soon as I get up to do anything, she gets on it and I have to oick her out of it to sit down again:giggle:

How long has Daisy been doing this? The only other thing I can think is she may be having a phantom pregnancy, they do tend to go off and find a place of their own at those times.

My mum has a Samoyed, he is the same, in the evenings he chooses to sleep in the kitchen rather than in the lounge, for him I think it's because the lounge gets too hot and the kitchen has a lovely cool tiles floor.

How about buying her a second bed to keep in the lounge so that she has the choice.

as everyone says she may just like her bed, we bought beds for our cats, they loved them in the previous house and used them all the time, now we have moved they ignore them! Prefer to be sprawled on sofas, people beds, chairs.

No idea why!

Some dogs, especially shy or sensitive ones, like their own safe space. If that's her bed then perhaps that's why she chooses to go there.

I would agree that the best option would seem to be to try to create a space for her that she likes where you are going to be!

newrider.com