Is 20 too old to be teaching an old horse new things?

VickiGG

Vicki, Garbo & Blue
My horse is 20 (approx - could be 18 could be 22) and he was a stock horse so I don't think he has ever been in an arena before, and we have only just taught him about softening his jaw etc. I have just bought a horse box (float as we call them here) and I intend on taking him to my school for lessons with me once a week - more if all goes well.

Do you think he's too old to be doing all this? I used clicker training to get him on the float and we closed it all up today with me in it and he wasn't too stressed at all (didn't kick. panic or sweat). He was a little unsure ...

I haven't taken the next step yet and 'got out' as well and left him by himself in there (and my car is not big enough to tow two horses)...

He loves his clicker training and ground work (attention) but gets a bit grumpy when being ridden at times but other than that he is good shape. See pic below...

What do you all think?

Attachments

• 100x100Rounded Blue March 05.JPG
    100x100Rounded Blue March 05.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 104
I would say they're never too old, so long as what you're asking is something they're physically comfortable with:)

Most horses don't look upon schooling as a chore so long as they are comfy and understand it as yann says.

Naww

Nah - they are never to old ... providing their not 25 and ** doing 4ft jumps lol!

My girl is 17 this yr sometime, and she is starting up her games carrier again and is learning to jump PROPERLY this time and has settled down so well!!

Godluck

thanks everyone. It's been a challenge but apart from loading into a horsebox he seems to be enjoying himself. Hard to say - wish they could talk! :) He is definitely a happier horse than when I found him 6 months ago - he never had anyone come see him, nor pick out his feet or brush him on a regular basis - apart from other owners in the same paddock saying hi....he is so much happier having regular contact and attention.

Tried to take him to the riding school today - he wasn't having a bar of it! :(

newrider.com