Is 15.1hh Too Big For Me?

allroundergirl

Sep 19, 2008
Notts/Derbys
I have been riding for years now and looking after friend's horses as well as caring for a few at my stables. Now I am to start loaning a horse and after months of looking I had an email. Here it is:
15.1h Irish Cob X 10yrs old done bit everything good hack box shoe clip etc lovely horse, fantastic yard
There's a bit more to the email but it's just questions about location etc and I'd rather not post it here.
Anyway, I'm 13, 5ft3 and 8 stone. Two people told me he was too big and not to even try, and others say he's fine! What do you think?

at 13 you will still be growing so while he may be a little tall at the moment he will still be able to accomodate you even if you grow another 6 inches.I wouldn't think that 15.1hh is too big for somebody of 5'3.It all comes down to how well you can ride the horse.Being a cob he may be a bit strong on occassions but to be honest so long as you feel comfortable on him that is all that matters.

at 13 you will still be growing so while he may be a little tall at the moment he will still be able to accomodate you even if you grow another 6 inches.I wouldn't think that 15.1hh is too big for somebody of 5'3.It all comes down to how well you can ride the horse.Being a cob he may be a bit strong on occassions but to be honest so long as you feel comfortable on him that is all that matters.

I know, I'm smaller than a few friends who are a few months older, we all have growth spurts at different times and it will be a learning oppurtunity. I will go to try him and see!

Absolutely go for it!!
When I got my horse, I was only 11 so I must have been shorter than you and only weighed about 5 1/2 stone, and she was 15hh. Anyway, I soon grew into her and the benefit of getting a larger horse is that I can still ride her now, although I'm 5'7"!!

im 5'3 and hopefully my new boy (vetting dependent) will be 15.1hh so id say he was fine

I'm 5"3 and a quarter (THE QUARTER DOES MATTER!:mad: :p ) and I feel just right on about a 14.2, but I ride up very short and said horse took up the leg rather well.

Go try him! He sounds nice, and good luck!

newrider.com