Introductions

Jenny2502

Puzzle and Milly
Apr 21, 2007
Birmingham
How do I go about introducing my shetland mare to my cob Puzzle (gelding). both can live out and they will be turned out together but in the event they have to share a stable overnight (they are huge) i dont want them to fight all night. They currently live on different yards and wont be together until sept.

Advice please.:eek:

How big is the stable?
It may be a case of just waiting to see if they will get on.
I've found horses are like people in that they like some horses and not others. Is there any way you can introduce them earlier?
Howlong will they be in the field together before they are in the stable together?

I had to stable Captain and Bonnie together for a while. They seemed ok with each other. But Bonnie's personality changed. So I waited around longer at the yard. He was basically keeping her pinned in the corner all night. :eek: So out she came and never had to share with him again. :eek: I personally wouldnt stable 2 different sized ponies. :eek:

Yes i think ill partition, but what i meant was how do you introduce them, i dont want to just turn them out together, because however placid puzzle is he will let her no if he doesnt like her.
Just want some ideas.

graze them with a double fence between thme side by side and slowly make the gap smaller and smaller untill they are within reach of each other by this time they should be used to one another if all goes well after a week or so let them in together.:)

newrider.com