Introducing Rafi

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Just read LisaJane and Emmabeans posts re their lovely new horses and awaiting update from Praecelsus, so thought I'd better show you Rafi, seeing as we're having a 'new horse' day.

Collected him this morning - he travelled naked and loaded and travelled ok - didn't even sweat much but how he managed to get sh*t everywhere, including all over the breach bars at the front is beyond me! I'm glad YO took charge when we arrived at the yard and unloaded him because he jumped off. He was very unsettled, jumping at everything and squirting poo out of his back end :( However, he was still very well mannered and cuddly. We left him to settle while we cleaned out (what a job!) and returned the trailer then went back to see how he was doing. He'd settled quite nicely and had his tea so I tied him up outside his stable and gave him a bit of a groom and he was really good so gave him lots of cuddles and put him to bed.

OH is really taken with him btw - thanks for the tips ;)

I have decided to change his name - he didn't really have a stable name but had been nicknamed Playboy by the grooms, but I just couldn't get used to that, so we are going to call him Rafiq or Rafi for short. It's an arabian name meaning gentle or friendly, plus the groom that looked after him and was obviously very fond of him and a bit sad to see him go is called Raf And I've always liked the name Safi and Rafi is kind of the same but a bit more masculine!

Anyway, I have no idea whether these pictures will work, I have tried using photobucket for the first time.

Before we set off with Raf the groom (nice place!)
DSCN0037.jpg

Home (who are you?)
DSCN0045.jpg

Wow, must be the time to get new horses here! Rafi is stunning - hope he gets over his travel jitters and settles in.

Rafi is soooooo handsome and has a fabulous full mane :D I think im in love, just don't tell Indie ;)

Glad it all went well getting him home, even though he made a mess of the trailer!

Unfortunately I have found more with Arabs, especially Indie, he can cr@p for britain when he gets nervous/excited and spring time can be projectile :eek:

Looking forward to the updates with tons of pics :cool:

He's goooorgeous :D

I wouldn't worry about the poo, Claire's horse Victory (Trakehner = TBxArab) hates being 'left' when I take one of his herd for a hack so have to stable him and then he does loads of runny poos, think it's just a nerves thing, nothing to worry about. Good luck settling him in, want lots of updates and pics of your gorgeous horse :)

He's gorgeous and Im glad it all went well :D.... when I came home last night first thing I did was come on here to read everyone's updates. Love his new name too, it suits him. :D

Ahhhh he's gorgeous.

I think you might just have to get used to the nervous pooing :D

You might be washing a leg or two when he goes out into the spring grass !!

JEALOUS !!!!!!
He is so beautiful and love his thick mane (hope my baby has one as long and thick).
I think you chose well and look forward to LOTS of updates on how you 2 are getting along. :)
Hope he gets over his super pooping by the time he turns white ! :eek::D
xxx
What are you planning to do with him ?

He's superb! What a lovely colour, he will go pale grey eventually. What are you planning to do with him? (Sorry if I missed that in another thread)

Thanks everyone for your nice comments.

LOL about the long thick mane - I'm used to my Clydie x loan with his double mane and massive tail and I was worried that Rafi's seems very fine! It is lovely and silky though and he tosses his head and flicks his mane back like a girl.

He's feeling much more confident today and I'm pleased to report the poos are back to normal, though quite plentiful, which isn't surprising as apparently he's eaten everything that's been put in front of him so far.

We turned him out for a little while this morning but he spent most of his time by the gate so brought him in as it started to chuck it down (it's flippin' freezing here) and will put him out again for an hour or two this afternoon.

Can't believe how good the OH is with him - he's not at all horsey and quite scared of them as a rule but he's been leading Rafi about like a pro, despite the fact that Rafi is quite snorty and prancey - I thought OH would drop the lead rope and dive for cover at the first possibility of getting his foot stood on, but no! In fact he keeps thinking of excuses to take the horse off me - like 'he looks really lovely at a distance, much better than close up - here, let me lead him up and down then you can stand and watch him' Noooo, he's MY horse!! I think the OH training is going too well, I'm worried Rafi actually does prefer him to me!

Anyway in answer to your question what do I plan to do with him - just long hacks, pleasure rides, quite fancy having a go at le trec possibly. I was hoping to be able to do pleasure rides before the summer was out but he's only just 4 and not used to being ridden much, plus he's barefoot and I'd like to keep him that way if I can so will need to build up distances gradually - that's assuming I can ride him at all without falling off! I do want to get sorted with a trailer soon though and start getting him out and about, even if it's just to meet up with friends for a play, just so that he gets used to it while he's young.

So far he's been absolutely lovely - he's more like a dog than a horse, such a baby and loves being petted and scratched. In fact if I can't manage to ride him I'll just keep him as a pet!

newrider.com