Introducing horses, is this a good sign?

Margie and Magic

Jan 14, 2020
Hello,

Some of you may know I am looking to lease or buy a second horse so Magic has a buddy.

I was walking Magic yesterday on the road in front of my house (locals only) and I took her past a neighbor that has 3 horses in their front field. Magic was very excited to see the other horses. She behaved herself but did throw her head a bunch when I wouldn't let her go over to the fence line. Her body posture was this: Ears erect and forward but her face and lips were relaxed. She wasn't acting spooky or stressed, she wanted to get closer to them. I didn't notice any aggression or dominance in her body language. She never made any noise to greet them. Once we were past them she hung her head the rest of the walk.

Am I correct to assume that her behavior is showing that she is receptive/open to another horse for friendship? When I used to work at different farms/stables growing up I never got to be involved when introducing new horses to the existing herd. Also I have never seen a horse being purchased for anything other than racing/showing/breeding. How the new horse's personality was going to fit in with the current herd never "mattered." I am really hoping that Magic's behavior towards the neighbor's horses demonstrates that she'll bond quickly with a like minded horse I buy or lease.

Speaking of which, I got a lead on a gelding. I go see him today!

Reactions: Jessey
Oooh hope the gelding is suitable! I do think that most horses like company of their own kind, however there are always exceptions. Some pairs never bond. My own mare being an example. She tolerates Chloe (who we introduced to her when our other horse died). At first she was really quite put out about having company and it did take a while for things to settle down. I started them off by being in the arena (which was a good sized space) and thought that if things got ugly I could separate them. I didn't need to, after the initial pawing and squealing on Storm's part, Chloe being meek, just accepted this and they sort of rubbed along together. They have a strange relationship - nine years together and still no mutual grooming. However if you take one away from the other for any length of time, or if Chloe gets too chummy with Zi then there is some calling and stressing on Storm's part. She doesn't like her being friendly with anyone but her! lol
It's a huge subject really isn't it? Not all mares want to be dominant - not all are meek. It's bad to say on the whole - hopefully your Magic will find her perfect friend soon. :D And I think it's really great that you are thinking about getting her a friend and that you care enough to consider all angles. Some people don't!

Reactions: Margie and Magic
I think every horse is different. If you read the oops thread recently that @Jessey put up recently. Theres a little video on there of her introducing jess and indie over the fence. And jess and hank. Totally different reactions.

When i brought a second horse. I started off with them in the same field with two fences between. A period of isolation is wise for disease control. After that i went to an electric fence between them. I actually had the two sperate for 18 months but they could groom each other over the fence if they wanted to. It was my choice to keep the two separate not because they fought or anything just easier for me to manage.
I did have a section of grass fenced off which was mutual ground. I used to let them both into that area whilst poo picking or doing jobs. Because they only went into it whilst i was poo picking it had a lovely fresh bite of grass so the boys were more interested in eating that than going and saying hello to each other. So there actual introductions were actual quite controlled.
I know for some people on yards its not possible to keep separate, some have to just go in together and hope they sort out there pecking order. Also for some horses they do suffer from seperation anxiety when moving yards and if they were put in a paddock on there own theyd just charge round, so intergrating the horses as soon as, might be the better option. Like i say it depends on the horse.
Sometimes i think people are actually too quick to want to put horses together. I would say to annoyone that had there own ground or control over how they managed there field i would certainly recommend introducing slowly over a few weeks.

You never can tell, I don't think. Usually though it's a case of any company is better than no company (of course there are exceptions). My old boy was bossed about mercilessly for years by his field mate, but I think before he got really frail, he'd rather be bossed about than be alone. I introduced Hogan over the fence to Ramsey and his bossy mate - no interest at all. They co-existed over the fence for a year. When Ramsey died, Hogan moved in - guess who's boss now?! Yup - the 13hh fatty rules the 16.3 former boss with an iron fist! But, and it's a big but, if theres real aggression and injuries, that's another thing altogether. It's usually ok in the end.

Oooh hope the gelding is suitable!

COMPLETELY UNSUITABLE!!! Refused to have any contact with myself or his owner. 3 minutes into the meeting he ripped the metal gate from the metal fencing that made up the corral. Seriously, he put his leg in between the slats and pulled on it and twisted it off breaking all the hinges.

I got out of there ASAP!

I think every horse is different. If you read the oops thread recently that @Jessey put up recently. Theres a little video on there of her introducing jess and indie over the fence. And jess and hank. Totally different reactions.

When i brought a second horse. I started off with them in the same field with two fences between. A period of isolation is wise for disease control. After that i went to an electric fence between them. I actually had the two sperate for 18 months but they could groom each other over the fence if they wanted to. It was my choice to keep the two separate not because they fought or anything just easier for me to manage.
I did have a section of grass fenced off which was mutual ground. I used to let them both into that area whilst poo picking or doing jobs. Because they only went into it whilst i was poo picking it had a lovely fresh bite of grass so the boys were more interested in eating that than going and saying hello to each other. So there actual introductions were actual quite controlled.
I know for some people on yards its not possible to keep separate, some have to just go in together and hope they sort out there pecking order. Also for some horses they do suffer from seperation anxiety when moving yards and if they were put in a paddock on there own theyd just charge round, so intergrating the horses as soon as, might be the better option. Like i say it depends on the horse.
Sometimes i think people are actually too quick to want to put horses together. I would say to annoyone that had there own ground or control over how they managed there field i would certainly recommend introducing slowly over a few weeks.

This is my first forum, how do I find that oops thread? I would love to watch that video.

After doing a bunch of research and watching some videos on youtube I want to do what you are describing. My back and front pasture are already separated so I wanted to start the new horse in the back pasture and Magic in the front. I was hoping after a couple months or so they could be together unsupervised. Unless I see what you are talking about: For instance Magic is really receptive towards a friend and the other horse wants to bond really quickly also.

Almost every horse will show interest in others as yours did, they are herd animals and naturally are driven to find companionship.

My girl is a funny old stick, she is very independent but also wants company but only on her own terms, and if her terms aren't met she will quickly resort to kicking, chasing and being mean. If her terms are met she's very easy to get along with. I'll post the videos here for you if that's easier :)

Indie (the gelding in the blue rug) has been with me since January 3rd, he was kept in a very separated paddock for the first week, then moved into this one and there are double fences with a 3 meter no-mans-land gap between him and the other 3, Jess the big mare in the purple rug, Hank the little brown mini and Dan the black and white mini. The first morning when he moved closer they were all happily hanging out together (still with no-mans-land between).
DSC_3674.JPG
Dan and Indie touched noses when Dan escaped that night into the no-mans-land, I very much doubt there was any shenanigans as Dan is just not that way inclined. 1 week later Hank and Indie meet here
Then Jess and Indie met the same day (listen with the volume up for full effect)
I shooed them off when I did as normally she will squeal 2 or 3 times and if the other horse hasn't backed off she will spin and kick with both back legs repeatedly until they do, she has taken out solid fences and metal gates doing this in the past and I try to avoid carnage where possible ;) I am 90% sure she will settle to having him about, if it wasn't for her lameness issues then I would likely be chucking them both in together this weekend to sort it out between themselves, but she would end up lamer than she has been for the past 8 weeks and I can't have that just now so I will be going the slowly, slowly route, gradually getting them used to each other. I tried again a couple of days after this video and got the same reaction, but she took out the electric fence doing it, so this week I have been putting his fresh poo in her paddock for her to get used to his smell and will try again at the weekend.

Dan's introduction with Jess was pretty uneventful, she squealed once, he moved away and that was that, so she isn't always horrible ;) When Hank and Dan were introduced they just got right down to playing together and I am positive the 3 boys will be introduced with no issues at all. Jess is a particularly difficult one with new horses, as I say it's on her terms or a fight, she's always been that way.

Last edited:
I usually introduce them in separate fields once they have done quarantine. so they can run up the fence line and sniff and squeal if they want and then let them in together often after a couple of hours.

They are all different. Buddy is a boss horse, he likes Fleur who is younger, Leo when we still had him, and Tintin donkey. He dislikes Suze as she is a challenger. They are all out in the same field but he never grooms Suze. They all groom apart from buddy suze.

If he were gone, she would be in charge. They are careful around each other as they are both big horses. He will put his ears back and be aggressive and she will wander off mentally giving him the two hooves sign.

I didn’t have any choice when I got mine.

When chanter and ginger they meet over a fence for two days then in with each other.

With peanut and ginger they went straight in as did when Edward joined them.

I think if they hate each other on sight it will not work and you have to keep separate but if they don’t love each other that’s fine too,

COMPLETELY UNSUITABLE!!! Refused to have any contact with myself or his owner. 3 minutes into the meeting he ripped the metal gate from the metal fencing that made up the corral. Seriously, he put his leg in between the slats and pulled on it and twisted it off breaking all the hinges.

I got out of there ASAP!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow, glad you got away from that one!

I've had good luck with introducing my own pairs of horses, both went exceptionally well and they settled down with each other straight away.

My first pony., Ziggy, was introduced to a mare/gelding pair before I got my companion Mattie. The gelding tried to kill him - we got him out of there PDQ.

My feeling is it's generally ok but not to take anything for granted!

newrider.com