Introducing hard feed?

Grace O'Malley

Sweetpea Bulge, Hobbiton
Apr 5, 2004
CA, USA
Visit site
I've had Morocha since the end of January. She lives out 24-7 in a mixed herd, and they get fed grass or oat hay twice a day. I've watched them at feeding time, and she makes sure she gets her share :rolleyes: . There is some grass in the field, but it's pretty ripped up right now, and even if it weren't I wouldn't expect the grazing to supply much by way of nutrition (it's California, the grass doesn't last long, and every facility around here feeds hay to pasture horses). Before I bought her, she was living in a much larger field, also fed hay, and no supplements (AFAIK).

I think she's beginning to look a bit thin, and plan to start supplementing her with some Senior feed (she's 15). Also, her teeth have been checked recently, and she's been wormed regularly, so I think she just plain needs more calories.

So my question, since she may never have had hard feed before, how should I go about introducing it so as to minimize the upset to her digestion? Would a quart the first time be about right? Would more be okay? Or would less be better to start?

I recall that for his senior feed, I started with 1/4 rations of where I would eventually end up, and built it up over a week or two. Skeeter was thin when I got him, and he's also on daily canola oil to add calories.

Hard feed is energy feed. For putting on weight your first action should be to add more hay, preferably ad lib. If necessary bring her in for a haynet during the day. You could also give her a forage bucket feed rather than hard feed.

Bay Mare said:
Hard feed is energy feed. For putting on weight your first action should be to add more hay, preferably ad lib. If necessary bring her in for a haynet during the day. You could also give her a forage bucket feed rather than hard feed.

*sighs* I wish I could give her extra hay, but there's just no way to do that with the way the yard is set up (unless I move her to an individual paddock, which I may have to consider if she keeps losing condition, though I don't think she'd be at all happy with that). I'd pop out myself and feed her, except that with the road still out, my 10 minute drive to the yard is now a 3 hour + round trip :( , so I just can't go every day. Sorry for the whine :eek: , but I am honestly depressed and stressed about it all.

The one time I tried her with a forage, chopped hay, type feed, she wouldn't touch it. But as for energy vrs weight-building, the senior feeds claim to be "complete" feeds, and even replace hay for horses who can no longer chew properly--is that not so? (I know you can't always believe what the sellers say...).

Scarlett 001 said:
I recall that for his senior feed, I started with 1/4 rations of where I would eventually end up, and built it up over a week or two. Skeeter was thin when I got him, and he's also on daily canola oil to add calories.

Thanks Scarlett. Did you start the oil at the same time as the senior feed? I'm just hoping she'll eat it--the one time I tried to feed her from bucket a (to get some electrolytes into her) she seemed to think that was the stupidest idea ever :rolleyes: I bought one of those flatter rubber pan things, so hopefully that will seem more sensible to her.

Skeeter was on a large amount of hay when I first got him. But I did add senior feed/beet pulp and oil at the same time. He put on weight beautifully - gradually and nicely (did you see those pics I posted on a thread a while back - might still be lurking in the General section if you do a search). The senior feeds are supposed to be designed for the old boys and gals, so they are supposed to be different in composition. I've had no problems with Skeeter on the hay and senior feed/beet pulp/oil combo. Do a search on NR to see what you think of the beet pulp option - would they be willing to add the water and prepare it at your barn (most will do so)?

Scarlett 001 said:
Skeeter was on a large amount of hay when I first got him. But I did add senior feed/beet pulp and oil at the same time. He put on weight beautifully - gradually and nicely (did you see those pics I posted on a thread a while back - might still be lurking in the General section if you do a search). The senior feeds are supposed to be designed for the old boys and gals, so they are supposed to be different in composition. I've had no problems with Skeeter on the hay and senior feed/beet pulp/oil combo. Do a search on NR to see what you think of the beet pulp option - would they be willing to add the water and prepare it at your barn (most will do so)?

Skeeter looks gorgeous! So, yes, whatever you're doing is totally good :D

I probably won't be able to get much help from the barn. There's no staff on duty all day. It's a small yard, and a family lives on site. They feed hay morning and evening, and maintain the shared areas. Otherwise boarders are pretty much on their own. We're all flustered at the moment with the road closure and resulting transportation problems, but as we get into routines, there is probably some scope for chore sharing with other boarders.

I'd like to step things up gradually with Morocha, but I've seen what beet pulp can do for a horse (my friend's elderly gelding couldn't chew hay properly at all, but he looked beautiful and had heaps of mischief in him from beet pulp, senior feed, supplements and carrots :D).

newrider.com