Introducing a new kitten to the animal family?

popdog

I've left.
Aug 25, 2004
Visit site
My OH has insisted that we take a kitten in that his brother-in-law bought...stupidly on a whim...and has now decided that he doesn't want as his kids don't want to look after it. Argghhh :mad::mad::mad:

The kitten is a 9 week old ginger moggie boy...

I have two Staffies (20 months and 10 months) and two cats already (3 years and 2 years - British Shorthairs). I really don't want another cat, but BIL is going to send kitty to a pet shop and I wouldn't want that to happen. So poor kitty is coming to us on Friday night...we've got a few days off work to settle him in.

None of our animals are favourites (they all just get along, there is no jealousy), the cats especially are not really interested in us unless we are feeding them - they are not lap cats...they ignore us most of the time. The staffies have no real prey-drive whatsoever and are pretty soppy and very cat friendly.

How would you go about introducing a new arrival? Should we introduce in a cat carrier, or put a big crate in the front room, or seperate rooms...etc, etc...what would you do?

ETA: The kitten is going to be called 'Spare Cat' as we have enough already and don't really need anymore!

Last edited:
My suggestion is to find this kitty a new home if you dont want it enought to even name it! Put ads up in local vets or call them and ask if anyone has asked around for a new kitty.

Or, if you insist on keeping it then my advice is to start very slowly. Make a room solely this new kitties. Bring somethng of the other cats and dogs into the room so kitty can smell it and vice versa to the other pets. After a few days once kitty has gotten used to the room then put him/her into a crate and let the cats into the room. Let them smell each other and expect hissing. Dont tell anyone off, they will get used to each other. Then bring the dogs in and repeat the process. Eventually once they are calm like this let kitty out and cats in. Then let dogs in with them on a lead! Then once they are fine like that move to all animals off lead.

There will be hissing and a bit of rivalry probably. But they will settle with time. I wouldnt let them alone with each other until they are all very comfortable.

The above advice is good. Make sure that the kitten is big enough when you think it is ready to be 'loose' in the room with the other cats/ the dogs so that there is less chance of it being hurt if the others take a swipe at it

personally i would find kitten another home, you dont want it, you wont give it a name and it will pick up on those vibes and be unhappy, an unhappy cat will in turn make everyone unhappy. Its not your fault, but its not the kittens fault either. He sounds a very lovely cat and i am sure someone will be able to give him a lovely loving home.

Hehehe, kitten is now called 'The Dude'...he was introduced to the other pets on Friday afternoon while he was in the cat carrier. He was intergrated with the other pets within an hour and has adjusted to life in a multi-pet family. He's also been for a vet check (and a much needed wormer) and we've been told he is probably only 6 weeks old now :mad: Microchip and jabs in a couple of weeks when he is stronger and has gained weight :)

The dogs were not interested in him at all, the cats were mildy upset for about 30 minutes...now the kitty is lying on OH's lap with a Staffie nose pressed up against him.

He will not be left alone with 'the others' until he is big enough to fend for himself but seems to be accepted by them already...it was no big deal to any of them.

Ho-hum, what's one more when we've already got so many...and he really is 'The Dude' :D;):D;)

Thanks for the advice, I guess he's here to stay x

newrider.com