introducing a new horse

P

pinkheather

This is a kind off follow on from the previous post. My old mare went lame and has had to be retired so i foolishly bought another horse which i like. The trouble is my old mare had a wee pony as a companion so they have been together for around 8 years. I kept the new horse in a separate paddock for a week to settle in i saw my old mare and the new mare mutual grooming over the wire so took the wire down to-day. Although there has been no fights the younger mare keeps pestering my older mare and seems more dominant and they have squared up with the back legs to each other but no damage. I am finding this quite heart breaking for my old mare as she tries to stop the you mare making friends with the pony who appears not to care less at them moment they are just keeping there distance from each other. Has anyone any experience of this and how long did it take to calm down before there was an acceptance of each other. I just feel so sad for my old mare, everyone says it takes a few days for them to sort it all out and i should not worry but i am so attached to my old mare and watching her at the moment is upsetting. I have made sure there are no dead ends and they are in around an acre at the moment as i do not want them getting too much grass. Am i being stupid and over emotional about my lovely old mare or should i be worried.
Would appreciate comments from you all and dont hold back i can take it.

Aw, I feel your pain on this one. I have two horses atm, one is now retired and we are just dreading the day when we have to introduce another one (which hopefully won't be long off as OH hasn't anything proper to ride now). Only thing I can think is that things will settle down soon - but can so appreciate how upsetting it is to watch. And I think you did the right thing introducing slowly. Afraid it is just nature though - I mean, your old mare will perhaps just have to accept she is no longer in charge and that the new horse in town will rule the roost from now on. I can't forget in the Byerly Turk when he gets old and the mares start to boss him about....sorry not much help - sure somebody else will be able to on here.

I feel for you but unless you want to keep them seperate then you will have to let them sort it out, we have been there - although easier for us as only having the one Mare and 2 gelding youngsters - however much they may think they have right to top dog status she is very much in charge, they have the odd challenge moment nowadays but she just stamps her authority, the two gelding chased each other for a few days when first put in as they decided who was second in command - they now mostly just view each other with indifference or get on with it depending on the moment.

The sooner they sort out the heirarchy the sooner there will be peace in the field......... in some instances best not to watch.

We did keep the new one seperate for about a month before putting in though and Acorn just let himself in when he thought he was ready BTBH none of them saw him as a threat in the chain and he gets away with murder most of the time.

I think it something they just have to go through.

I recently brought a new horse and when I brought her home she didn't go near the herd for a week. Then when she finaly headed over their way they made her stand about 20m away. Slowly over the course of 2 months she integrated into the herd and now spends most of her time amongst the other horses.

It was hard to watch but she worked it out in the end. I think it was worse for her as she had almost always been in a private paddock then I put her out with 5 others. She was a bit confused. Poor thing.

Well thats been 5 days now and no one has died. The new horse is certainly the more dominant and will not let my old mare too near. i have blocked off the shelter at the moment [although the little shetland ducks under and gets in] as i dont want any areas where they can get trapped. It is very sad watching my old mare losing her position as number 1 especially as she has lameness but i suppose in the wild she would have been eaten by predators by now. But at least i can relax a little as i dont think there is going to be serious trouble. Building another shelter/stable for winter so there will be plenty of room for all God i am turning into a big softy, must be an age thing.

Pleased to hear things are a little more settled, I know how it feels to have to watch this. It will hopefully be ok and you never know they may end up as mates:smile: It really is just time :wink:

newrider.com