Introducing a new horse to it's fieldmates

clarabella_78

Jun 6, 2007
North Shropshire
Hi,
My new horse is arriving on Saturday, and I wondered what is the best way to introduce him and make sure there's no argy-bargy. He's a quiet 13 yr old TB gelding, and he'll be sharing a field with a big rig and a little gelding pony.

Thanks
C.

Can you introduce them over a fence first? In different but adjoining fields so they can get to meet each other but so the fence stops any problems?

You would be best to split the field into two. I would use some electric fencing between them. They can nose each other if they want but at least they won't be able to kick out at all.

Are the stables next to each other so they can see each other over the doors for a while if you can't split the field?

When Cody arrived, there is a window between his stable and Barley's so they met that way.

MeetingBarleystable.jpg

Cody was in for three days following worming but tThey were then fine to go in the same field.

I just totally throw new horses in. If there's going to be any problems, its going to be in the first half hour, so I wait around and see if I need to intervene. Seriously though, I can think of only once that it was a problem. Otherwise, they squeal, run around, determine who is boss and that's it. Problem solved

When Joy was moved to her new yard she went from a herd of about 30 to one where she was one of 4. We introduced them in the sand school and all was well.

Only did it in the sand school as the others were already in there or would have done it in the field.

Problems just don't happen in the first half hour. Ziz was turned out with a mare and a gelding in a new field a few weeks ago, no problems in the first half hour, brought her in the next day and 2 massive bites on her back, treated those, back she went out in the field (horrible mummy) and came in with bites, kicks, scratches and cuts all over her body. Bites and kicks on her near side, kicks over all 4 legs and it looked like she was pushed into something that cut her as her off side was covered in cuts. 2 really nasty cuts including one wound site (heel) which was really badly cut up with 6 cuts over it. She was booted too, with knee and brushing boots and still got 3 nasty kicks to her legs, the boots had been cut (neoprene damaged) too. Another gelding got turned out in this field, which Ziz is no longer in, and his owners went up with lunge whips and schooling whips to make sure he didn't get the same treatment.

I would separate the field or a section of it with electric tape, if you can't do that, I'd put at the least brushing boots on. I used the combined knee and brushing boots, one was actually folded over when I brought her out so I'd use the separate boots if I had to again.

Stabling them all is an option as they are next door to one another. The field gate is straight off the yard, and they always come to gate for a nosey when someone is in the yard, so maybe I should tie him outside his stable where they can all see each other for a bit?

What do you all think?

i think the field splitting method is the best way. stabling isn't really necessary - they are all horses after all, not aliens - and though this is a fab idea i think it's only really necessary if they're stabled already.it just seems a bit silly to do in the stable what you would in the field, and if there's the option of stable or field ... well, field always wins for me!
:)
apparently it's a good idea to introduce the horse to the boss first - just the two of them if you like, for the day or so, then the others. this way, the boss will already be on your horse's side.
it's worked well for moi.

you are lucky to have such fab stables, NicP!

Last edited:
i was worried about Kaiser when i first got him but the other liveries said just put him in and let them sort it out.

I put him in, waited for fireworks, they all cantered round, sniffed and squealed then started eating. That was it. And they where fine.

The horses he went in with where very laid back so it was fine.

newrider.com