International bee and bug rescue!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Do you think I have OCD about rescuing creatures?! lol, we seem to have an excess of bees and bugs that get stuck in our water tubs in the fields and nearly end up dead! OH got quite annoyed with me the other night when I insisted we walk all the way up the steep hill to the top field to check the buckets - was worth it as there was a small chap in there......:p Poor ladybirds seem to be the worst - I've fished loads of them out lately. Hows about you lot? I shouldn't think it would be very nice for the horses swallowing bees up either.....:eek: Btw, we had a black, slightly oval beetle with cute paddling legs - he didn't seem to want to be got out, but I thought Storm might eat him:eek: Anybody else get those?

The beetle sounds like a waterboatman? I used to get them in B's water barrel, they'd swim to the bottom whenever she stuck her nose in for a slurp :D

I bought a kiddie's fishing net this year to help clear bugs out of my water containers, wonder why I didn't buy one years ago! My mum's so squeamish about these things that she used to pick a docken leaf to do the job. I highly recommend a fishing net!

I used to have a bright yellow trug in Mimi's old field that I used to put her water in, then I noticed it was getting more than it's fair share of dead bees floating around the top of it :(:(. Felt really guilty to I went out and bought a pink one ........ no more drowned bees! They really do seem to go for the colour yellow.

i've rescued a few bumble bees from kids wanting to sentence them to death by bunsen burner! scoop em up with a bit of paper and out the window, easy :D

I will have to get out my Observers Pocket insect guide and check!

Oh Trewsers you never fail to amuse me!!!!

The best thing I've found for removing bugs (and ice in the winter!) is a 79p el-cheapo sieve from Tesco!

Does a brilliant job - leave it next to the horse's water and if they break it, no worries, only cost 79p! (Give or take, anyway...) :)

Well, I did buy a seive for their water buckets in their stables, cos both have a habit of letting me fill and lug them into their boxes at night, only to kick Nedz Bedz into them after 60 seconds.....so hence the seive to save me more lugging! I will try and remember to take it with me up the fields in future!

Didn't know bees were attracted to yellow!! I have green and purple - they are very bright - maybe something to do with it?

I do draw the line at the termites which are eating our house, and the mosquitoes which are eating ME! :(

Oh dear, the termites will be worse than our woodworm!!!:eek: We have a definite problem, when we moved in the surveyor said "they were largely inactive".....hmmm, I know for a fact they are starting to get active! Our bathroom has beams in and they are practically crumbling away, last year we treated them but they are still alive:eek::mad: I keep telling myself its stood for over 200 years, it can last a bit longer........:rolleyes:

newrider.com