Interfering when being a sharer

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
I really try not to, the horse is the owners after all. So I feel bad this morning but didn't feel like I had a choice.

Horse was hunter clipped yesterday and it was 7 degrees last night and this morning. He was in 2 heavyweight rugs this morning. I watched him for 10mins trying to decide what to do and trying to get hold of owner.

He felt boiling and was puffing and looking uncomfortable. I took one off.

Wondering what you would have done in the same situation. I probably shouldn't have interfered it's a difficult one isn't it ?

As long as it's the horse your sharing (and there's nothing like PSSM at play) I think it's fine!

I'd text the owner just saying something along the lines of - Hey! Just to let you know I took off B's top rug this morning as he was a bit too hot, it didnt get as cold as we were all expecting after all last night did it!

Reactions: MrA and carthorse
Yeah just send the owner a text or give them a buzz and just say you thought they should know and explain. I'm sure they won't think you are interfering.

Reactions: MrA
The owner was fine, the yard owner sort of. It's hard because rugging is so subjective, personally I don't think I'd ever put 2 heavy weight rugs on this horse, when stabled too.

Other people's horses I leave them to it of course. But when it's one you care for it can make it very difficult.

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
The owner was fine, the yard owner sort of. It's hard because rugging is so subjective, personally I don't think I'd ever put 2 heavy weight rugs on this horse, when stabled too.

Other people's horses I leave them to it of course. But when it's one you care for it can make it very difficult.
Wow two heavy weights on a stabled is going some! Unless you live in Siberia. Seriously, I once put two on Storm when we were on our first yard. Well she was in a lot of work and not at all over weight either and her stable was outdoor if you know what I mean facing the yard, so quite exposed. But it didn't work out and she looked so hot and bothered and the under rug had all slipped and gone skew whiff I never did it again. No wonder she bites me when I approach her with a rug!

Reactions: MrA
I don’t think that’s interfering, it is just a decision that whoever is doing the horse that morning would need to make, ignoring it would have been a huge fail in your responsibility to care for the animal.

I don’t think that’s interfering, it is just a decision that whoever is doing the horse that morning would need to make, ignoring it would have been a huge fail in your responsibility to care for the animal.
It wasn't my day but I always glance at all the horses first thing in the morning (just that they have their heads over doors and field ones are upright!) as I'm first there by a couple of hours at least usually. He just seemed agitated so went to have a closer look, glad I did in the end despite overthinking it all at the time

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com