'Interesting hack!!'

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Took Ginger for a hack today. Not before he had gone through my tack room, grabbing what he could , including my car keys. I spent ten minutes just saying " Ginger get out of there! Drop my car keys! What are you doing in there now?!" Bless him. Like having a child lol. My tack room is right next to the tie ring. Before I rode I put on my hi viz police jacket aswell. ( It was a police jacket)

Set off and we was going to go down a quiet street. However ginger didn't, so I decided we would go a different way. Passing the local school, with the children there in the playground. I was beating myself up a little as I forgot some of the kids are still at school / attending school. Anyhow we plodded along to were the local shops were which are quite popular and a car garage. So it was a little busy. So I decided to turn back, ginger had coped well.
But as we turned around it seemed it may have been a bit too much as he trotting for much of the road and when he stopped trotting he jogged. We turned down the street to bring us back to the yard. But we had to pass the school. Ginger was jogging on a angle then suddenly he heard the children. He slammed the brakes on and turned to the sound of the kid, when I asked him to walk on . His head shot up as he quickly moved to the other side of the road, just jogging on an angle! When I tried to turn him off the angle he was in he threw his head up! So I sat there and let him just get passed as camly as I could. But this old woman in a car and with a look of horror on her face till slowly crept forward! I couldn't take my hands off the reins. Luckily we got passed her and thank god the van kept very well back and one car coming out of a junction reversed back a bit.

Then I felt I wanted to calm him down as he was still jogging. So I quickly turned right , down a quiet street. Slowly pulled him up and spoke to him trying to calm him down. It seemed to help as he went back to walking normally. After a few minutes around there we turned around and headed home much calmer. I praised him as he did very very well. Ok he spooked but on the whole I felt he did very well :)

I usually try to mix up my road hacks with a bit of busy road then quiet road. My youngster in heavy traffic it still blows his mind at times and he gets tense so I find he calms when we get to the quiet ones.

newrider.com