Interesting article about getting a horse to grow a thicker coat

That is why some show horses/ponies live with artificial stable light, the animal thinks its summer and doesnt grow the coat. If you rug early as well that was thought to slow growth-unless your animal gets cold, in which case does it make a difference.
Also-apparently, its used to encourage mares to have seasons all year. The vet did say to me to keep mine out and away from artificial light. She is in season anyway today, so that's because its mild and in her case not the light :banghead:

I know I need to get out more. :giggle: But since mine had her mini clip its rained. That's fine, but what interested me what that the exposed clipped part was in fact warmer than the wet exposed part I hadn't touched. So in theory I have removed her waterproof outer layer, but its allowed her to dry quicker?

Shadow sweats up in the box, last night it took ages for his back to dry, where he's not been clipped his coat is very dense. He's got a fabulous coat this winter, it positively shines where it was clipped :smile:

I may carry on and do a chaser-non face. But will see. Depends if I see any sign of weight loss.

Shadow has a trace clip, but I didn't want his face doing. Might just tidy the guard hairs up, so he doesn't look too fluffy :smile:

And chickens tbmimx! They naturally don't lay eggs in winter with less sunlight.

I out mine out last Monday on the moor and madam has grown 6" hairs on her legs - turning into a heavyweight welsh with plenty of feather haha. Both have grown considerably more hair in a week!

Are you sure the clipped part is warmer, NF? Maybe it just feels warmer compared with the other parts where it's insulated by the hair so the warmth doesn't get out ..?

So, how come some of our Icelandics are living in 24 hour daylight and still have not lost their winter coat by June?

I have a light on in my quail shed that I have on a timer in winter so I get them to lay eggs. I turn it off and let them moult out, they put it back on for 14 hours a day to get maximum eggs

Are you sure the clipped part is warmer, NF? Maybe it just feels warmer compared with the other parts where it's insulated by the hair so the warmth doesn't get out ..?

The neck and belly felt warmer, not covered by the rug, but under the rug was cooler. The clipped areas were also dry.

So, how come some of our Icelandics are living in 24 hour daylight and still have not lost their winter coat by June?

Perhaps it all depends on where how they originate?
The Malamute is not naturally bred for the Uk climate.

'They're Arctic dogs, not designed by nature to live in hot, humid environments. If your Malamute lives in the Sunbelt, be sure to provide him with plenty of shade, fresh water, and air conditioning during the summer, and avoid exercise in the heat of the day.'
http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/alaskan-malamute

I know I need to get out more. :giggle: But since mine had her mini clip its rained. That's fine, but what interested me what that the exposed clipped part was in fact warmer than the wet exposed part I hadn't touched. So in theory I have removed her waterproof outer layer, but its allowed her to dry quicker?

I have a feeling that if you were to dig down through the hair of the bits you hadn't clipped she'd be warm under the hair. The whole point of their coat is to trap the warmth under the coat. Rubic hasn't been clipped and usually feels cold to the touch... until you dig you hands into the bottom layers of her coat where she is warm and dry!

newrider.com