Injury

Cazzys

Sep 1, 2015
65FF108B-94CD-484B-A147-6F4D30C318AC.jpeg
Hello

My 4 year old mare has got this injury. Just looking for advice on how to treat, keep clean etc. There is only a tiny amount of heat around the wound. I have used salt water on it today.
Thanks

Can you have a chat with your vet or email them a pic if you aren’t sure? Do you have anything in your first aid kit like Leucilin? That doesn’t sting and is good for cleaning cuts. How did she do it? How deep is it? If you have an intra site gel you could use that after cleaning it.

As @Trewsers has said we have no idea on how deep it is, how she did it or if any structures are involved.

My concern with it being so low down is that it's contaminated with mud (or worse) and if it's more than a surface cut then you'll struggle to clean it up properly, and indeed to keep it clean. I think you may need a vet out if it's too deep for you to get properly into it to clean it up, they can sedate or give local anaesthetic so they can flush it right out and give antibiotics if needed. Is she up to date on her tetanus vaccination? If not I'd want that sorted asap. I think to keep it clean you're going to have to bandage, and then cover with something waterproof if she's going out.

If it involves the coronet, which it looks to, I’d want the vet involved as any scar tissue there could affect the growth of the hoof forever, not something I’d gamble with personally.

As above re the vet. Germoline seal and heal is a lifesaver on cuts to keep them clean.

Looking at her profile it seems she hasn't been back since making the post which makes asking for advice pretty pointless if she isn't going to come back and see if there are replies.

Apologies I have been poorly with the dreaded virus! I spoke to the vet and sent them pics. They advised to use iodine and salt water which I did. It has healed well but think she will always have the lump there now.

Reactions: carthorse and Huggy
I kept her in on box rest for a few days as the field was very muddy. It didn’t become infected luckily. I think she did it with her front hoof after having them trimmed. I did also try the intrastate gel which helped loads x

Reactions: carthorse and Huggy
newrider.com