Injury in the field

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
...not Ziggy, me....

I went over at 6 as usual to poo pick and feed and found Ziggy had just that minute (I saw him) pushed through the fence into the long grass. I sighed, went to fetch my halter and caught him.

We went to where he got in and I laid the fence down flat for him to walk over, something we have done without incident a hundred times. He was just stepping over it when a deer burst out of the long grass in the next door field and scared him to bits. he made a dash for it and got a strand of fence caught on one rear hoof. I let go of his lead rope before he dragged me, but the fence strand caught me around the backs of the knees, burned me right through my light summer trousers and knocked me over.

Ziggy seems unhurt (and indeed less lame than he has been, though still cresty.) and has no rope injuries. I have truly hideous rope burns in a very painful place and a few big bruises.

My OH has been looking after the burns very well with hydrocolloid plasters and cool water, but I can't tell you how uncomfortable it is in this heat! Plus they will probably scar.... Rats, rats and double rats. At least the thin trousers were a fabric that didn't get into the burns!

Healing, cooling vibes please....*sigh*

Oh no! These awful accidents just come from nowhere! I hate rope burns - they are so painful. Hope they settle very soon.

Sounds painful.
If it's electric fence tape that bloody stuff rips through anything.

Thank goodness, it was the rope. Painful enough, but if it had been tape I would definitely have been in A&E!
Healing vibes on there way. And thank god it was not that tape.

It's lovely to know you have deer, maybe not at that moment though!
I know out hacking, a deer jumpeda hedge in the lane and knocked into a gate, three horses took off, mine was more ooh lookie skid.
Actually I think mine was more wow those things can really jump!

Deer are one of the few things that Ziggy finds spooky @newforest . All the horses get jittery when the deer come through the field. I think it's the way they seem to walk through the fences without stopping that bothers them!

The other day there was one right in my field at that time in the morning, such a beautiful little roe hind, and she let me get really close before she stepped delicately away. Legs like twigs and enormous eyes, really very Bambi! We are suckers for pretty animals, aren't we?

Reactions: Jessey
Ouch that must really hurt. I feel your pain.
It's funny my horses are used to the deer grazing in the fields and don't bat an eyelid.

Ouch, you’re not having the best time just now are you.
Sending cooling healing vibes by the bucketful.

Ouch that must really hurt. I feel your pain.
It's funny my horses are used to the deer grazing in the fields and don't bat an eyelid.

Ziggy doesn't mind them when he can see them. This one burst out of the long grass without any warning!

I'm just back from our local minor injuries unit. They said I was very right to go! Don't you hate it when people you at you and suck their teeth and say "Oo, nasty." I have better dressings now but it's going to need redressing every few days from now on :(

I had similar with my foot. It didn't hurt though so I felt a twit going.
But you could get an infection because it won't be clean rope.

newrider.com