Inhand showing gear on a budget!

Dannii5691

Owned by Ponies!
Nov 16, 2009
This year I would like to take the kids in some inhand shows. what do I need ti wear to do classes like m&m, best youngster and genetic classes?

Also jazz has black legs and June grey. Do I need diff coloured trousers, what do I wear footwise? Was told a pastel coloured shirt - what colour would compliment the horses? On a budget?

Showing novice needs help!

I've just seen a cheap showing jacket on Derby House site. I think it was about £35. I got one on ebay last week for £18 but it is a bit big, deciding if I should have it taken in or sell on and get another.

I I make it showing this year I have a chestnut/lightish legged, a black with 3 socks and a bay with 3 socks. I was just going to wear one colour. I thought creamy colour.

Asda for a work shirt, smart and cheap. Or a school shirt for the kids. If it is warm weather you can get away without a jacket or waistcoat. But you should wear a tie if you are going without, I think it looks smarter. A waistcoat from Sherwood that is thinner/spring weight in a neutral shade (forest green/brown/beige) to tie in your trousers (depending on colour you go for) Dark or light, you can get away with both. They say dark for pale legs and light for dark so the judge doesn't get the legs mixed up! but they dont really seem to mind.

Hair, workmanlike. Hat for kids (helmet/velvet) you can wear a stock hat or a cap for you if M&M (some shows say Adults must wear a hat, others don't specify) but children always will need to. Smart shoes, suitable for running and you can get away with dark trousers (again look in Tesco/Asda) or beige Jeans (Matalan) Robinsons do some own brand cheaper Riding/boot cut trousers in beige.

To be honest I have found that as long as you look smart and the pony moves well then they look at the horse not the handler. If you teach the ponies to walk out well, stand square and trot on command, nothing looks worse than a horse being dragged and it is surprising how difficult it is to do in-hand well. I thought it would be easy but after my first show season of "comedy legs" I did a bit of "Ginger biscuit" training and it was 100% worth it, lots more rosettes! Hope this helps a bit.

Andrea

Right ... Probs best to go with light trousers then as I'm hoping that I will be doing the majority of showing with my youngest as he is has a lot more 'traditional welshy movement' and I'm hoping to do a fair bit with him (eventually!)

Shirt - long sleeved/short sleeved!? Which is prefered if under waist coat? And does it have to be a pastel colour or White?

Waist coat - I am a size 20 so need something flattering to both me and ponyo! This is him ... What colour do u suggest?

Cap/hair - are we talking kind of in a near bun under a flat cap that matches the waist coat?

This was taken in September but in summer he is alot bluer
IMG_0668.jpg

Like this

f8be2736.jpg

You can wear long or short sleeved shirts I wear a white one by fuller fillies short sleeved being a size 18 myself. :).
I have longish hair and put it up in a scrunchy and hair net. I waer my blue riding hat with leather straps but you can also wear flat caps or aussie like cowboy hats.
A waistcoat you can get from asda in larger sizes and wear it with a tie looks very smart.
Keep an eye out in charity shops too you can get some good outfits from there :)

Good luck and enjoy showing him.

I havent read how old or anything you are, but I got my shirts from a charoty show for £1.75 (M&S ones too!), a tweed jacket from the charity shop and adapted it here and there.

Not sure if this helps...

I'm off next week so may head to the charity shops in town - always love a bargain! I'm watching a brown tweed waist coat on eBay that's at 99p (with 4 days left so that will go up!) is a black waist coat acceptable? (I hate show jackets with a passion!!)

newrider.com