Info On Newly Purchased Horse

Julie Armstrong

Feb 26, 2008
Halifax, West Yorkshire
I have just purchased a 14 yr old 16.3 TB bay gelding who apparently has on his passport Double Trouble, ex racehorse. After sending his markings to Wetherby's - he is NOT Double Trouble! & If he was, he is 17!! I purchased him from Michelle Edgar, Radcliffe, Manchester who previously bought him from Hilary Cowsill, Whitefield, Manchester. It was Hilary who had him passported, but he was already microchipped by Equichip. I am not bothered in the slightest that he is not Double Trouble, but would like to trace his history. Any info much appreciated x

Hi Julie

Coming from a racing background if he is an ex racer, the passport you should have is a Wetherby`s with all vaccs, dob, sire,dam ect, not one of the Horse Agency Passports (which were made compulsory recently when buying/ selling horses). If the latter is the one that you have,then he definitely hasn`t raced!

Hope this helps

Yes, if he was racing he will have had a weatherbys passport from a young age I would have thought, what does his passport say, i.e who is it issued by and when was it issued? If it's not Weatherby's he hasn't raced and I would be very interested to find out what he has done!!

My lad has definitely raced and is who I think he is (I have his racing pictures and would know that face anywhere), however he did not come to me with a Weatherby's passport. He went through York Auctions in early 2005, and as his passport didn't go with him, the Auctions sorted him out a passport themselves. If your boy doesn't have a Weatherby's passport, doesn't mean he hasn't raced, but without a clue as to who he is, it will be like searching for a needle in a haystack.

As he was already microchipped before he was passported, does the microchip not have any information on it? Can you contact Hilary and ask where he came from? If so, the owners before this passport may know who he is, or if not they may be able to give you an idea of where he came from before they had him. If there is no joy on this front, I think all you can do is post as many facts as you KNOW about him and a picture both online and in horsey mags and hope that someone who knows him sees him.
Would DNA testing be any good without having an idea of his real racing name?

Good luck with your search!

newrider.com