INFO for people in and around greater manchester

me_n_super_abby

Mar 14, 2009
On a farm
I have had a text that has been going round as follows. Thought id share it:

Please can you pass on this message. There was a strange vehicle parked at a horse owners field near Dove Holes, when she went to investigate it had gone, it was a white pick up with a black back. Later in the night a place in New Mills was robbed of everything but horses by a white van with EQUINE DIRECT (also spotted in audenshaw area) on it, hence why some people who saw it did not think anything of it. We have also been told that horses are being marked with a small plait in their mane, and then someone else is coming back for the marked ones. Please be on your guard and take down vehicle details. Pass it on it anyone who has horses in the area.

Its not but unfortunatly its happening. Im hoping i dont see it anywhere as i will have to say something! Its awful, i hate things like this :furious::timebomb:

Yeah, I got that message yesterday too.

Also, the local bridleways has e-mailed today saying that, "a yard in New Mills was robbed on 2nd Feb. Almost everything was taken - Horse box, Trailer, Rugs, Hay, Feed, Quad Bike a even shaving fork and spades. Everything had been locked securely, but it did not make any difference. The thieves just broke all the locks with a crow bar or similar. She didn't even have a rug to put on her horses as the they had all been taken apart from the damaged ones."

I think we all need to be on the look out at the moment! :furious:

Please bear in mind that plaits found in horses' manes are likely not related to thefts. Most are wind plaits and nothing to do with thefts at all. Think about it - you go and plait a horse's mane and then tell someone else to steal it? Highly unlikely. Some wind plaits can be very convincing but they are just the wind. Please don't frighten people any more than is neccessary.

Please bear in mind that plaits found in horses' manes are likely not related to thefts. Most are wind plaits and nothing to do with thefts at all. Think about it - you go and plait a horse's mane and then tell someone else to steal it? Highly unlikely. Some wind plaits can be very convincing but they are just the wind. Please don't frighten people any more than is neccessary.

I can quite understand how these plaits come to be. But its not meant to scare anyone just passing on what people are saying in this local area. Whether people are looking for plaits or not thats for them to decide but the whole van issue is very real.

There's nothing wrong with being extra vigilant in your local area. I know I'd be greatful if someone saw something untoward at our yard. Wind plaits and 'hand done' plaits are quite different, they'd be easily differentiated.

There's nothing wrong with being extra vigilant in your local area. I know I'd be greatful if someone saw something untoward at our yard.

Absolutely. And I'm not saying there's no need to worry.

Wind plaits and 'hand done' plaits are quite different, they'd be easily differentiated.

Actually no they're not that easy to tell apart. I think it was Kis Vihar who posted pics of wind plaits in her horses and they were pretty much indistinguishable from man made plaits.

newrider.com