Indy's lame-very strange though..(pic)

VickyS

Indy monster :)
Mar 25, 2008
County Durham-England
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help/suggest anything as im getting quite worried/desperate now!!
Indy went quite lame (was on all 4 legs but hobbling a fair bit on his front end)about a month and a half ago for no reason that I could think of apart frm tht he must have done it somehow in the field (very odd 4 Indy as he is like a tank-indistructable!!)I had a good feel about no heat/cuts/scrapes-maybe a slight swelling but its very hard to tell because his hair is so thick on his legs.
So he had some time off and still wasnt right so had farrier out and he said his feet were quite long and that it could have been causing it but he didnt think it was.so anyway, had shoes off to give his feet time to recover and see if any improvement. there was slight improvement at the start but he was never 100% and ever since he's been standing ever so weird (even before shoes off)..he sort of leans foreward on his front legs slightly and his front right(the leg in question) he will take his wight off it slightly and it sort of shakes a bit.he will still rest a back leg whilst hes doing this though and you would hav though if he'd wanted all his weight off the front he would stand up properly!!!
so overall hes been on/off lame for a month + so vet call tomorrow defo.
has anyone else seen anything like this??as some days hes fine and some not?!
sorry if ive confused you a bit..feel free to clarify anything!
pink smarties for everyone who read that..was longer than I intended!!
p.s..attatched a pic if you don#t know him as were quite new :)
thanx
vicky
xxx
Image0069.jpg

yehh..ive considered that but i thought the lont more backwards with that??also his feet dont seem to be sore,especially since he had his shoes off :S
its more like his knee i think.

have you had him scanned? could be a suspensory as shows up more some days than others. would get him scanned coz you don't want to cause any mroe damage if it is a ligament or tendon. and they dont just ahppen in one leg, my gelding is currently on his 3rd of 6 months off due to both front suspensorys being damaged no idea how we think ti must ahve been in the filed. he was only 1 tenth lame so rode him through it to start with but didnt improve so went for scans and that showed up :( so yeah get him scanend!!

Could it be anything to do with his back? I knew a horse a long while ago that had a series of trapped nerves down his back. In trying to compensate for the discomfort he eventually made himself sore and uncomfortable on all four legs and seemed to have 'all round' lameness. It happened gradually over a period of time so for a while no one could work out what was going on. Good luck with the vet.

ohhh god...thats sounds quite similar to me :S
its just happaned one day and he had time off to recover initially then after that ifs hes a bit stiff i tend to just ride through it aswell (only a bit of walk trot) but it just dones seem to be righting itself and ive been so buisily lately hes had a lot of time off so you think it would have?:confused:
i tried the vet today but I think they had just closed so will try agian tomorrow..hope its ok :S
what happens with yours in the long-term?

Mildly sore from a bit too much grass rather than full blown laminitis can make them stand under with all 4 rather than rock back but so could sore feet from other things. But sore muscles and things like that can also make them stand oddly.

Sounds like my mare 2 weeks ago, she was stabled an had embrocation which did absolute wonders, she has just come soun enough to turn out but is slowly improving, i think it was a turn injury in the field which coul be similar, maybe?

Ok, first point - he is stuuuuuuuuuuuning!!!!!! totally love him!

back to the point! lol - same here, first point lammi but symptons don't all add up. Agree it could be mild so he is just v.uncomfortable on all four. Or he could be distressed as isn't used to pain? Puz strained her fetlock in the field about a month ago and showed similar symptons - he could be lame behind because he is trying to shift the weight off the front so the hinds are sore from extra pressure? It is also possible that he has hurt his back so is trying to get comfy and can't. Good luck with the vet - let us know asap!

newrider.com