Indoor SJ training tonight (if he loads...)

Lucyad

Mar 30, 2006
Renfrewshire, Scotland
Scary!! On Tuesday night we had a disasterous attempt at loading practice, after him doing it great a couple of weeks ago. Last night I took all of the partitions out and he went in fine, then gradually put them back in, until he was standing calmly with them all in place. So hopefully I will get to my first indoor SJ training night tonight:eek:

Am rather nervous, as am not quite sure that we are good enough to be there, or to be on our riding club team....but we will see. We have problems on picking up a right canter lead, with general impulsion, and trying to acheve that illusive bouncy canter. Hopefully the other horses sharing the lesson wont set him bucking off as well. Abd we have no chance jumping any new jumps first time, without some snorting and spooking......oh dear, what have I let myself in for.......Have to rush home to get ready and start possibly long drawn out process of loading. I bet we get stuck there, and have to leave him in a hugely expensive stable!

I'm sure you're be fine :)
Relax and try to enjoy yourself.
You're taking him to show jumping 'training'...if you were supposed to be perfect already it wouldn't be called training. I'm sure that you'll be just as good as everyone else there.
Good luck and let up know how it goes

Hey be calm!!

*Don't Worry, Bout A Thing, Cause Every 'lil Thing Gonna Be Alrite* (Sorry in ICT and bored, I feel like singing:D)

Tis all in the way you ride...be positive and think forward.....if you think "Omg he's gonna buck and I'm gonna die and everyone will point and laugh" it most probably will. Well. Not that dramatic.

Oh you know what I mean :p

Be happy, I'm sure you'll have a great time, and Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

You could always ride him home - it would only take about three hours :p
I think he will be fine.

Just make sure he has calmed down after the exciting jumping before trying to load again - he is obviously fine once calm, but when he gets het up, the bad memories come back and everything looks dangerous.

Maybe give him a haynet to munch on or some chaff, just on the ramp.

I will come along and watch if that's OK, I am really interested to see Andrew Hamilton (apparently Shelly used to work for him, she was telling me about it during the vetting).

Survived in one piece! Also managed to get him back into the trailer after only 45 minutes, so didnt have to leave him there. We were really rubish though....Need to learn to canter in circles, and get that illusive collected bouncy canter.....And also get him working off my leg a LOT better (had to do a good few riding school pony style kicks:eek: )

He was great in the indoor school though, not spooky at all, no bucks (probably through being thoroughly knackered on arrival from his traumatic journey in the scary trailer), and wasnt fazed by the new jumps (though didnt jump well, due to my poor approaches).

Not at all sure about doing the team competition - everyone else at the training were Soooooo much better than us. We need lots of work. And lots of tips for improving the canter as well please. And getting him to listen to my legs (schooling whip doesnt have much effect - loth to try spurs in case it deadens him further).

Also need lots more trailer practice. He went in fine on the way there, but as it was his first trip, realy didnt want to go back in again.

You definitely were not the worst there! Out of four, two fell off, and you were not one of them :p The other who did not fall off was very good, and would make me feel rubbish in comparison, but you were better than the other two (and not just because you did not fall off).

You told AH at the start that Oscar couldn't canter on right lead, and then AH managed to make fun of you for the rest of the lesson as Oscar picked up his right lead perfectly every time ;)

Oscar was the biggest horse there, and you still managed to line him up well, with only a couple of small issues (hey, everybody knocked a pole at some point).

It was Oscar's first time jumping indoors, and I think he was great and you did an excellent job. I did take pictures with my camera phone, but it looks like a ghost sailing over the jumps - you were going quite fast and my camera phone is rather basic ;)

His right lead was superb, I must say. Esp. after hardly doing right canter at all at his last lesson. (counter canter all the way!). I still feel like an overgrown Thellwell, in a class of elegant ballerina type horsies/riders!

Oh, and I only didnt fall off bacuse we didnt go fast enough! Not anything to do with my skill (or lack of!).

newrider.com