Indoor horse jumping photos

Niv2

Oct 3, 2007
I went to an indoor horse jumping competition yesterday and tried to take some photos but am not pleased with the outcome....I can get decent photos of horses jumping outdoors, but the lighting / camera settings defeated me indoors.
I have a Canon 400D and was using a Sigma 70-210 F2.8 zoom ISO 1600 and this gave me a shutter speed of about 1/800 at F2.8. I played about with WB and found that "fluorescent" seemed best and I seemed to get best results if I set the "exposure Compensation" at +1..
However, I did not seem able to get consistent results unlike the professional photographer there
Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track for taking indoor horse jumping photos or am I missing something?....I have heard that the phasing of the lighting can affect exposure.
Any advice appreciated

hummm I think you may of posted in a strange language that my tiny brain can not compute. you did what....

Sorry dont understand let alone help:eek:

Sorry you dont understand...looking for techincal help / hints on taking photos at indoor events.

I do alot of photographing of horses in areanas, although usually at NH demos.

I have found that turning off as much auto stuff as you can is best since if you catch a ligh in any photo then the subject will be under exposed. I hate places with sodium lights as it ends up making everything orange.

My results are inconsistant too but I tend to take the aproch of talking 1000+ photos a session and from that there will be about 200 I like.

I also use a 35mm lens and then crop and colour balance on photoshop. I can not afford the £2000 lense that would do the job, so I have a richo f1.2 35mm manual focus lense I like best, although the depth of field I am working with means I end up with quite a few out of focus.

because of the lack of light and speed of action then zooming in is not your friend. although if you are destind for large prints quality will be affected, although if it is for 10x8 or smaller or for internet then this will not be a problem.

It took me a long time to sort out what I am doing indoors, and still not great (still want that £2000 lense lol) but certainly getting alot better results (and photoshop is your friend).

ok, will let you decide if my theories work - here are two photos from arena uk last year:

7931_1153481549737_1008614255_30391.jpg

7931_1153481589738_1008614255_30391.jpg

ETA: although the lighting is good quality are arena uk, the lights are physicaly mounted too low, so they appear in the field of view. The problem with this is that you can easily get an under exposed subject - notisable more in the second photo.

Last edited:
I do alot of photographing of horses in areanas, although usually at NH demos.

I have found that turning off as much auto stuff as you can is best since if you catch a ligh in any photo then the subject will be under exposed. I hate places with sodium lights as it ends up making everything orange.

My results are inconsistant too but I tend to take the aproch of talking 1000+ photos a session and from that there will be about 200 I like.

I also use a 35mm lens and then crop and colour balance on photoshop. I can not afford the £2000 lense that would do the job, so I have a richo f1.2 35mm manual focus lense I like best, although the depth of field I am working with means I end up with quite a few out of focus.

because of the lack of light and speed of action then zooming in is not your friend. although if you are destind for large prints quality will be affected, although if it is for 10x8 or smaller or for internet then this will not be a problem.

It took me a long time to sort out what I am doing indoors, and still not great (still want that £2000 lense lol) but certainly getting alot better results (and photoshop is your friend).

Thanks...that is really helpful....I am used to getting consistent results taking photos outside so it was a bit of a shock to find that I was not getting the same indoors..knowing that it is tricky to take photos Indoors is a great help. I have since put some of my photos through an editor (Gimp) and that has made a big difference as well....much appreciate your post.

Might try and get a fast 50mm lens...they are relativly inexpensive for my Canon (about £80 on eBay)

Thanks...that is really helpful....I am used to getting consistent results taking photos outside so it was a bit of a shock to find that I was not getting the same indoors..knowing that it is tricky to take photos Indoors is a great help. I have since put some of my photos through an editor (Gimp) and that has made a big difference as well....much appreciate your post.

Might try and get a fast 50mm lens...they are relativly inexpensive for my Canon (about £80 on eBay)
I think if we had pro kit to play with it would not be as bad to get good photos, but it is a very challenging situation to take photos in.

For secondhand lenses I like using http://www.mifsuds.co.uk/

newrider.com