in the rain with a fly rug... should I feel bad?

BlueWicked

fluff-free
Jan 13, 2008
in the real world...
Blue is into his sweetitch hoody now and its been raining for most of the day.

i feel bad :(

Wont he be all wet as they arent waterproof? I cant go and put his lightweight on as he will be wet, and I dont want to take the sweetitch hoody off as it is mild and there will be flies about..... ok so am I being silly?:eek: Or will he be uncomfortable?

i did the same this morning, felt like such a bad mum!!
the neck on my fly rug is detachable so last year i put the neck bit on a waterproof rug that had ring bits as my girl only scratcheas her neck.

Last edited:
which rugs can you put under a fly rug as I also had this delema this morning not knowing if I should put his fly rug on and he might be wet all day and there was a cold wind.

sun came out later of course. put on a normal lightweight in the end but it has no neck. too hot for rugs, but dont want the cold wind and rain giving him a chill.

he started rubbing at the weekend as it has warmed up, so covered him in sweet itch lotion. will use the flyrug tomorrow to cover his mane. i think it will dry quickly as it is so thin. he has only had it last year where there was electric fencing and nothing to rub on, but now we have moved and there is a wonderful wooden fence to rub on, so hope the rug lasts!!

which rugs can you put under a fly rug as I also had this delema this morning not knowing if I should put his fly rug on and he might be wet all day and there was a cold wind.

sun came out later of course. put on a normal lightweight in the end but it has no neck. too hot for rugs, but dont want the cold wind and rain giving him a chill.

he started rubbing at the weekend as it has warmed up, so covered him in sweet itch lotion. will use the flyrug tomorrow to cover his mane. i think it will dry quickly as it is so thin. he has only had it last year where there was electric fencing and nothing to rub on, but now we have moved and there is a wonderful wooden fence to rub on, so hope the rug lasts!!

hiya,

I actually have one of these -it's really good, it clips into any of the rambo rugs - however I found Blue was hot in it yeterday so took it out , now its rained:rolleyes: and I didnt want to put it on with him being wet already.

http://www.claytonanimalfeeds.co.uk/ProductView.aspx?ProductID=14048

in the rain with a fly rug ...should I feel bad?

I wouldn't worry too much - mine is a Boett and did once get thoroughly soaked during a very wet afternoon. It isn't particularly ideal for the horse, but as someone said, it's far better for the horse to be wet than bitten to bits, as my horse once was,a couple of years ago, having been put out without any rug at all to protect her!

Boetts do dry quite quickly, but can shrink a little if you dry them off in a tumbler for instance. I'm not sure about other fly rugs.

Roseanne xxx

Mine went out naked in the thunder and lightning and I felt awful but as my mate said 'he won't melt and stop being a paranoid horse mummy!' I still felt bad but took a towel up and gave him a pamper session. Most of the horses at my old yard are now turned out 24/7, unrugged. Does that make you feel better?!:)

I got caught by the weather as well - put on the fly rug int eh glorious sunhshine yesterday, and woke up to a soaked pony this morning. He is in having his tea and will go out in a lightweight turnout rug.

Wish the weather would make up its mind - grrrrrrrrrrr

thanks for your replies ;)

well i went over in teh peeing rain and I have to say his rambo sweetitch hoodie had actually kept him dry!:eek::D So I was able to pop the liner on underneath.:D

He should be fine and it is only for one night, so if he doesn't like it and is a bit cold you can rug him up more thickly tomorrow night

Alex got caught up last year, his rug was nearly dry but he was soaked, because he gets rain scald i kept him in to dry properly, but another girth with the same problem chucked her back out as he only suffers from sweet itch :)

Dont worry hun!!

Kia was out without anything yeasterday and he still has his full clip!!

He wasnt chuffed but thats what he gets for trashing his rug once I have sent the rest away for reproofing for next year lol!!!

He'll be fine and toasty lol!!

Nikki xxx

newrider.com