In shedding hell - tips?

Nimbus65

Aug 15, 2005
Our hairy girlies are really shedding now - especially Nell. When I take her rug off, there's a hairy black cloud. I've got a veritable armory of tools to use to sort her coat out - she's very itchy - but I'm wondering what works for you guys?

What affect does leaving them naked at this point have? Will it speed up the shedding or prolong it? Do you prefer the blocks, curry combs or shedding blades - and if you have a preference, why? Does bathing help? It's still too cold, but I thought I'd give it a try. Poor ponies are just SOOOOO itchy.

N

I find a shedding blade the best. Mine are unrugged and roll loads now that they are moulting. I keep finding ginger 'rugs' laying on the ground where they have shifted a load !!

A nice muddy roll seems to help - and of course, the human slaves then obligingly appear with shedding blades and get all the dried mud off along the with clumped up hair :) In some ways this works better, because you don't get hairs up your nose, but on the other hand, you do get covered in dust ;)

I was tickling my guy under the chin today, and caught his long under the chin beardy hair and wiggled it around - and a huge clump came off in my hand! He's a bit lopsided looking now, I'll have to try to get the other side off tomorrow ;)

Last edited:
another thumbs up for shedding blades - nothing wrong with the other stuff but the blades take much less human effort.
Personally I always end up wishing I'd clipped more off in the autumn, but in the autumn i always think 'I won 't take too much off so I don't have to smother him in rugs!'
Agree that leaving them naked is a good thing if you can stand the amount of mud thats still around.

i use a shedding blade and love it, i am tempted woth taking rugs off but its still so chilly on a night, i will end up with white patches all over the field

I keep putting mine out on sunny days with no rug, so he can shift some of it.

I vote for a metal curry comb too, but the ones which are a half moon shape and then have rows along the length i've found work best. have never tried a block or shedding blade, as when it goes, it goes!

My pony is also really itchy up along his mane-think he is just getting hot there, so I'm killing my arm scratching there.

If they are really itchy, then a nice rugless roll should do them the world of good

I think I have an excellent tip for you, well it works for me anyway!

Take one OH and add a shedding blade.........hey presto!!! lol
Sorry just in a daft mood this morning!

newrider.com