In/out decision made!

Cremola Foam

Jan 11, 2005
Scotland
so I posted on the care forum about keeping ponies in or out over night at this time of the year. I got lots of responses (Thankyou all for that!) and have finally made my mind up! Peds is in at night as off yesterday.

I had various reasons for wanting him in, ease for me (and it's what I'm used to as B lives in at night all year round) gives him some respite from the weather (they have no shelter in their field) and also gives the field a bit of a rest as it is pretty much trashed! (Their field is split in two, they have slightly less than half the field in the winter) where the ring feeder is, is now so water clogged it's like wading through a stream!

I had other reasons also, but I'm not going to go into them!

The woman who owns the horse in the field has moved her into another field with her other horse. I decided I just needed to do what was best for me and Peds as if the shoe was on the other foot she wouldn't hesitate to change her horses routine.

Anyway. He was quite happy when I left him this evening, and I'll be going up early tomorrow to turn him out as I don't want him to be in for too long when he's not used to it. (I would have brought him in later but we're having a family dinner again and my dad offered to give me a lift as it's chucking it down!)

image.jpeg

It should always be what works for you and your horse.
You don't need to justify yourself to us, but I realise it's useful to get other people's ideas and input.
Mine doesn't mind being in, I think right now she would opt for in as she isn't keen on any mud. She spent the first two and half years in at night and didn't see much mud :)

I think I'm trying to justify it to myself! Lol!

I don't want to tick anyone off, and I'm hoping it works but if not I hope she will pop her mare back in our field. But I don't like to mess people about!

I am having a few other thoughts regarding this yard (which I do like, but it is very quiet!) but that wouldn't be in the foreseeable future, have to learn to drive first! (And I handily got 10 driving lessons from mum and dad for Christmas!)

Reactions: newforest
That's good you came to a decision, i hate being in the "should i shouldn't i " stage of things, once a decision is made its usually a relief lol I think horses surprise us owners sometimes how quickly they can adapt to changes.

Well yesterday he went out, made a face at B then trotted to the top of the field and started grazing. I was at the farm for a couple hours mucking out etc and didn't hear a peep from him :)

newrider.com