In-handled 2yr old.....any advice?

Twerd

Jun 9, 2009
Dorset
I have recently acquired a nearly 2yr old Paint filly, she had very little handling before she came to me and after working with her she is now having her headcoller put on/taken off, she is leading (albeit stop/start) she ties up, has been brushed and had rugs on/off.

I am also trying to work with her as she is very grumpy around food, although is making very small improvements all the time.

She has never had her feet picked up or anything else apart from what I've mentioned above.

Just after some advice on what sort of things to do with her to gain her trust a bit more and for things to start working on.

I have a Dartmoor yearling, he came to me as a wild 4mth old but has been so extremely easy to train and is now like a dog. He doesn't panic in any situation and ever has really.

My filly is obviously a lot bigger and older than he was when he was unhandled so it's a very different experience with her

CharliesAngel

Jan 15, 2010
just continue as you are and keep up a simple routine of basic handling every day. Repetition and patience are they key things.

The mare in my avatar I purchased just before she turned 3 and she had lived completely unhandled on a hillside to that point. The main thing with her has been to keep up the input, even if it’s something small - just a quick tie up and feed for eg - do something with her every day. They are all so different but even now my girl will really revert to being very wary and reactive if I rough her off for any time at all. What does irritate me is hearing people attribute certain things their horses do to the fact they were ‘unhandled’ for however long... usually it’s nothing to do with it and actually having a blank canvass that hasn’t been ruined or over-handled resulting in an over confident, bolshy horse is a positive thing.

In her 3rd year I spent a lot of time doing groundwork and de-sensitsing Brook to different things. We went for a lot of inhand walks and started long reining too.

Twerd

Jun 9, 2009
Dorset
just continue as you are and keep up a simple routine of basic handling every day. Repetition and patience are they key things.

The mare in my avatar I purchased just before she turned 3 and she had lived completely unhandled on a hillside to that point. The main thing with her has been to keep up the input, even if it’s something small - just a quick tie up and feed for eg - do something with her every day. They are all so different but even now my girl will really revert to being very wary and reactive if I rough her off for any time at all. What does irritate me is hearing people attribute certain things their horses do to the fact they were ‘unhandled’ for however long... usually it’s nothing to do with it and actually having a blank canvass that hasn’t been ruined or over-handled resulting in an over confident, bolshy horse is a positive thing.

In her 3rd year I spent a lot of time doing groundwork and de-sensitsing Brook to different things. We went for a lot of inhand walks and started long reining too.

Thank you for your reply.

She is a very sweet girl and is willing to learn but is also very independent at the same time.

I guess in my head I know I'm doing the right thing, just always nice to have some reassurance :)

My Dartmoor is amazing, we go on lots of different adventures, as soon as I start the lorry up he is there waiting by the gate and literally loads himself.
We have been on walks, been to the beach, been to the river etc and he thrives off of it!

He is experiencing lots of different things and isn't fased by anything because he has the trust in me.

I'm hoping eventually my Filly will be like that too, I just need to remember that she isn't as quick and as willing as my Dartmoor!

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I'm sure with time and patience she will come round. It sounds as though you have done a lovely job with your pony, just keep up the good work.

Prjsmk

Dec 1, 2017
As someone said repeat everything, lots of praise and scratches in her favourite places so she associates being touched feeling good. Regarding picking her feet up, get her used to touching her legs first from top to bottom. You sound like u are doing a great job so far

Gremand

Jan 10, 2018
just wanted to say a big thanks for every of your reply, i really appreciate it a lot as i'm also exercising now with my daughter. how are things going? is everything alright? would like some updates.

Reactions: Prjsmk