In Hand Walking

Sierra

Jan 15, 2009
Essex
I've just got a couple of questions about walking your horse in hand..

1) What do you use? Do you just take your horse out in a headcollar and rope or you use a bridle?

2) Where do you go? Just round a field or out on hacking routes etc

I quite want to take Sugar out for 'walkies'. We went for a stroll down to the furthest field yesterday (in her bridle) but ideally I'd like to go WAYYY out and do some exploring. Could always hop on bareback for a lift home if I'm tired :p

Last edited:
I used to walk Jackson in hand a lot when I got him first, to set us up for riding out alone. Started in field, so he got used to being led away from his mates, then moved on to quiet roads. On the quiet roads, I still used a headcollar and rope, but when we started exploring a bit further, I switched to (bitless) bridle and lead rope (it's like an endurance bridle with a ring for a lead rope).

I haven't done much for a long time, but today it was raining and I just decided to go for a long explore of our fields prior to sectioning them up for summer, and brought the horse with me (just flat headcollar and rope again) :)

Could always hop on bareback for a lift home if I'm tired :p

In the old field, which was at the top of a steep hill, I did quite often hop up on a wall at the bottom and trot home bareback (don't tell anybody...)

I want to take mine walkies too, being only 9 months & loving her field mate soo much i dont know that i'll get her out on her own!! :confused:
she only goes where the other goes! frutrating.

Let me know how you get on.

I walk in normal headcollar + leadrope on the roads. I take a lungline to clip on for the bridleways & fields as it gives him a bit more room to play (i.e. bomb around like a puppy!). Sometimes I walk him with a ridden bridle and sometimes with an in hand bridle -- just so he learns all these things exist and can be used for leading!

I walk Porsha out inhand, Its great for their confidence and fun. Once I have backed her I will still often take her out inhand, I always lead Porsha in her rope training halter, Which works with pressure simular to the dr cooks once iam riding her.

I go on the main road, little lane, bridle routes and through the field with her:D

We both wear hi viz and I wear gloves:cool:

I take Boss out in hand, normally just in a headcollar and leadrope. But that is because ive been taking her out and letting her graze down the bridleway, i dont like her eating with her bridle on. If im just taking her out in hand, then i tend to pop her bridle on for a bit of extra control, not that i really need it.:)

If I am walking Forest to get some grass then I take him in a headcollar, but if he is on boxrest and needs walking out everyday then I take him in a bridle as he can be quite strong and spooky. ;)

We have to use roads so its Bridle, I use an old in hand bridle with the rope attached to the noseband rather than the bit......

I go in a headcollar and we hacked along the roads and countryside, to the local shop, dong a bit of groundwork along the way ... I love in-hand walks! :D

x

I used totake my old share out in a head collar with lunge line or long lead rope, but we only went off road, if the kids were with me the little ones would bring their hat and hop on for a ride. We'd go past the cows, over the motorway bridge etc, stop and talk to cyclists and work on verbal commands all things to help us when riding out.

I take Tets out in a dually halter, normally its just on the normal loop but if things get exciting:rolleyes: or I need him to listen to me a bit more then I will change it to the nosepiece strap:)

Usually in just a headcollar, but I always wear gloves and carry a schooling whip (rarely gets used, but she knows I have it!).

When I was trying to teach her the art of hacking out alone (which was a challenge :eek:), I would tack up, and walk her out, then get on and ride back.

So I guess my answer is it depends on what you want to do :cool:

Walking

I want to take mine walkies too, being only 9 months & loving her field mate soo much i dont know that i'll get her out on her own!! :confused:
she only goes where the other goes! frutrating.

Let me know how you get on.

Mine is 9 months as well. My main problem is getting him back in the field! I have started taking him on short walks - I am very lucky cos I live on a housing estate so we can potter round there first, not going on the busy main road. Just started going on main roads now. It is really good if you could start sooner rather than later. Do you have another horse who could walk out with you to start off with? I had a filly a few years ago who would not move when walking on the roads, so I put a pressure headcollar on her underneath the normal headcollar. When she stopped she got a tug on pressure headcollar until she moved, then released straight away. Took her about two times out to realise what to do - (move!) and she never needed it again. x

newrider.com