In-Hand M&M at local show TOMORROW A few quick questions, help!

Lucy J

Weaver's Tale aka Ciara!!
Dec 5, 2001
Renfrewshire, Scotland
Visit site
So, I'm showing my NF for the first time at a local show tomorrow. Question is, it is the M&M class although results will be spilt into the relevant breeds. But should i be showing in his white rope halter like I would in a NF breed class, or should I be showing in his bridle? Or does it not matter? Also, is a coloured stock acceptable withmy tweed jacket, or should it be a shirt and tie? Help Help! thanks :)

Tie and Shirt!!!! You do not wear wear a stock with a tweed no matter what but you never wear a stock in a day show.
It must be a pretty big local if it's splitting into breeds, but if you've got a newforest i'd go for the white halter,
What colour are her legs? wear constrasting coloured trousers and some good boots.

gee, I'm glad i asked!!! i thought with tweed it was coloured stock as opposed to white! Right, off to hubby's wardrobe for a shirt! What colour of tie? is black ok? and a waistcoat under the tweed ok? got beige trousers - pony is a blacky brown colour, no white on legs. I don't know how many will be in the class but it is a large equestrian centre. do i need gloves in this weather?

i usually show my ISH mare in riding horse classes, so showing a native is a totally new experience!

shirt, tie and tweed, classes don't last that long and you can take it off as soon as the class is over, gloves (brown leather) are the same wear them for the class then take them off aferwards (it also saves your hands if you poney pulls in the trot). Don't go for the waiscoat unless you've got a cut-away tweed, other wise you'll just roast and you can't see it anyway.

Go for a bright coloured tie, burgundy is always a good colour, black IMHO are only for policemen and funerals.
erm can't think if anything else at the moment.

oh cool, thanks for your help :) I found a dark red tie in my husbands cupboard! and its not a cut away tweed, so i'll ditch the waistcoat. i don't have a decent pair of gloves though, can't for the life of me find them :-( but i'm sure the equestrian centre will have a tack shop! wish me luck! i'm very nervous already, silly really, but i just want to get everything right! i'll try and post some piccies :)

got my brown gloves! in fact I was complimented on my interpretation of the breed society's rules. however we came 3rd (out of 3, was MUCH quieter than expected so no individual breed prizes) beaten by a not quite properly turned out and quite naughty welsh section D, but he did have outstanding conformation and paces. However we were also beaten by another new forest. The reason was because mine was too wide behind - they loved him till they saw him trot. i am aware he is very wide behind (picture a bulldog!) but have been previously told that this is not a bad thing, however is there anything i could do to make his gait less noticable, would being fitter and having more schooling help with this? To be honest I'm over the moon, he was such a good boy all day and we were out to gain experience, so coming last was not a big deal, especially when it was due to a valid reason! but obviously i would have liked to have done better! piccies to follow, don't have them online yet!

Glad it went well - I admire anybody who shows, it must be quite nerve wracking wondering if hoss is going to behave!!! (mine is so impatient, she wouldn't keep still I'll bet!!!) glad you got your gloves too!!:)

Well done!
As for your gee gee, getting it fitter and maybe a bit thinner would probabaly help, it depends how much is confirmation and how much is blubber/muscle. If it's confirmation, theres almost nothing you can do about it, apart form to make sure, when your riding, that your horse is always going correctly and on the bit with its bum underneath, so you build up the right muscles.
You'll find if you continue to show that in M&M classes, especially at local level, welsh section d's almost alway win because they have so much presence, which is why at counties they tend to spilt the welsh's form the other M&M cause it's just not fair otherwise.

Erm PIccies????:D

piccies will follow soon! i had to use my rubbish with real film camera! so need to get developed! will get them up asap! :)

It is mostly conformation, he has a leg on each corner for sure - he is straight - too straight! he is equally wide behind as he is in front. I have managed to enter him in the In Hand New Forest Pony Class at the New Forest Show, so that should give us a good idea of what we lack! Also, its 5 weeks away, so plenty time to shift some weight and fitten him up! :D

well done! will see you at the new forest show, i won't be showing a gelding but will be about.

the wide stride behind can often be exaggerated by trotting fast - get a helper and both of you trot him up and watch so you can see what speed makes him look best. a friend of mine has one who goes wider the faster he goes, so inhand she keeps to a very steady trot for the individual bit.

a leg at each corner is good - but going wide-legged as if he is wearing a nappy is not. petal definitely has a leg at each corner, but is dead straight.

well his feet are straight, if that makes sense - ie where his hoofs hit the ground he is in line with his front legs, it is above the hock he looks wide - like a bulldog. I'll trot him at different speeds and have a look, but i think it must be conformation as it doesn't seem to make a difference. He looks better in canter!

newrider.com