In a pickle!

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
I've had no problems with my trimmer, he's reliable, really good with Belle and seems to know what he's doing, but part of me can't help wondering if the on off issues we've had this summer are due to her trim.
I've also found out today that my insurance is invalid unless I use a registered farrier to trim Belle so regardless of my thoughts on what's been going on with her feet I need to find a farrier asap, how bloomin hard is that? Trying to find a good reliable farrier here is like trying to find a bag of rocking horse poo... so frustrated and a lot fed up!
Sorry to off load on you all - my mums been rushed into hospital too again and I'm just not feeling the love today.

Oh. boo! Hope your mum gets better soon. Farrier issues are always a pain - Roxy went lame last time she was shod. Got the farrier coming out tomorrow again and I've discussed it with him, so hopefully it won't happen again, but I am still worried. He is always really early as well, which gets on my nerves as he expects me to be able to drop everything and arrive at the yard at whatever random time he decides to turn up.
Anyway, sending positive vibes your way!

Sorry to hear about your mum KR - sending good thoughts to you. When we first moved home our farrier wasn't keen on coming here as we'd no facilities such as a proper yard, so I begged him to give it a chance and paid a bit more to keep him - and I'm glad I did because I agree they can be so hard to find (good ones). That's interesting about your insurance too. Anyone on your yard have anyone they can recommend? Guess you'll already have asked around. Hope you find one soon.

You are NFU like me then? They brought that clause in last year I believe. Both my trimmers were registered farriers as well though. I think, I could be wrong its due to the trimmers not being regulated and there being so many different types.

I changed because I couldn't get a trimmer anymore to visit one horse. The majority of people here are shod, I am an hour away from a trimmer and I am at the stage of it doesn't make much difference. Well since stopping my cob is no more lame and no more sound, she just is.
Where are you? Don't farriers have a list online?
I would try word and mouth, tack shop.

Well found a farrier eventually, the only one out of seven to bother getting back to me, any how he's coming this morning to have a look at Belle, he's a remedial farrier too but have explained at length that I want to keep her barefoot which he seemed happy to do.
On the flip side my trimmer got quite sulky when I told him I can't use him anymore, suggested that I changed my insurance so I could use him still! Anyhow will let you all know what farrier says later, assuming he even bothers to turn up.

Reactions: Jessey
Very decent of you to get in touch and advise your trimmer.
You may find you've landed on your feet in this situation. Hope he turns up and really hope your mum is ok x

Being told to change your insurance to carry on with something would be the same as someone saying change your horse and get another one!

Well he came (on time :)) had a good look, said 'don't know who your trimmer is but have to say he's done a great job' apparently she has super feet, he did say it doesn't look to him as though she has LGL as he's not seeing any of the subtle changes he would expect to see in an LGL hoof, thought maybe it was just the fact that her feet have gone a bit soft with all the wet we've had recently and suggested I stick with bare feet and just boot her as I do if I feel the need, he did say even if she were shod she would still probably find the sharp gravel track un comfy, as long as she is fine on tarmac (which she is) leave her be.
He was really nice, Belle loved him and went to great lengths to inspect his head and bottom :oops: while twisting herself into some very contorted positions to have a look at what he was doing to her tootsies!
He is happy to take us on and I'm to call a week or so before I need him again, or if I have any problems in the interim. So all in all I needn't have worried too much it seems.
To be honest I had phoned a few insurance companies but they all said they would only cover if I used a registered farrier, so even if I did want to change to keep my trimmer I can't.

Mine turns round to sniff, farriers smell of hooves. Mine likes to sniff as well, I expect she picks up on the sweat glands.
Well in her case if he has been near a stallion the tart! :D

Reactions: Trewsers
Am really pleased for you Kite Rider. Am now worried about my own insurance. Shall have to dig it out before I have trimmer come, no good at all if not covered.

That's good that you got it all sorted. You should let your trimmer know what he said, might put a smile on their face!

Hope your mum is ok. X

newrider.com