In a pickle - WWYD ?

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
Irony : saying 24 hours earlier that the field on the farm is perfect, if I could change anything about the situation I would just wish to have a stable and a field shelter.

Fast forward 24 hours and I am offered such a field :eek:

Short version :
Horse lives out - I have no stable, everything he needs is kept at home 5 mins away, his field is a largish one for him but he has dinner plate size feet which are shod so in a small space over the winter anything he is on turns to slush, so to combat this I let him have access over the whole field. Fencing is ok(ish) but I get round this by having my own electric fence up and plenty of poles - job done.

YO sees me tonight and offers me a stable, (stables are all in good condition) there are no rules regarding turn out or bring in so you can do as you please (yippeee!), however all the stables at my yard have the associated fields, so it would mean moving fields, I've just done a comparison on the google maps and this field is a bit smaller, fencing is ok in places but again not a big deal as I have the poles and tape. But if it gets slushy I could stable .... but I don't really want to as that would mean more work and one of the reasons I like mine out. It's more for peace of mind in case of needing a stable for an emergency (like last year !!! :rolleyes: ) and I would have access to a locked storage area for hay etc (I keep my rugs etc at home) - however it would need to be decided on within the next 24 hours as my YO has a waiting list as long as his arm and places don't really come up that often. I would be taking a gamble on what the field is like for the winter - I know if I took the chance and it's cr@p then I am stuck stabling a horse (who is fine and actually likes his creature comforts) and have the extra workload and would pass my lovely old field with other horses in it ...unless I really manage the field well. It's about 1.5 - 2 acres for one horse, all of the farm is on clay though.

Argh ! What would you do?

If your planning to stable overnight( even if just in winter?) then I would perhaps take the new stable setup, but if not I think I would stick where I am.

Reactions: Ruskii
No I wasn't planning to stable him as he has always lived out. It was more for peace of mind I suppose as I did have a stable at my old yard and I did use it for the vet or for drying off legs before the farrier.

Wish I could have a crystal ball to see what the field was like.

arghhh!! is there any possibilty to view the field, I think alot would depend on its setting/drainage etc, it may be smaller but better drained etc !

I would go for the stable. You can always supplement his field with hay this winter and sort it out for next year. You never know what is going to happen and if you ever need the vet etc. then a stable would be invaluable. It's also somewhere dry to get out of the rain!

I was a staunch believer in letting them be horses and living out in all weathers, all year round (with shelter!)

However, Jack's recent PPID diagnosis has made me feel a bit more protective towards him and with the boys coming in overnight, I feel no guilt. In fact I think they enjoy it!! And I never would have thought that!!!

I really like having access to a stable even if I rarely use it. Xavier needed box rest earlier in the year. I'd have been stuck without one. Cally seems happy enough out but Xav and Oscar are clearly happier in when the weather is bad.

Eck - I'm having a look tonight and will make my mind up then I think.....I'm leaning toward giving it go - if it gets bad well then I'm sure I can do something :unsure:

Reactions: Gimp
He's on his own at the moment :) He just has neighbours who are out 24/7 for company.

Saw the field and turns out it's the wrong field ! YO made a mistake, so I saw the correct one this afternoon. Hmmm not sure.

It's half the size of my field now, and has had more horses on it than it should and already poached in November. So I'm not putting my horse out on a field like that. Ah well !

Reactions: Gimp
Could you put up a field shelter in your current field? I have seen some canvas types on my friends yard that are relatively cheap and seem to do the job pretty well.

Could you put up a field shelter in your current field? I have seen some canvas types on my friends yard that are relatively cheap and seem to do the job pretty well.
I could ask ..... Never thought of that - others have some up. But they are special circumstances I think. No harm in asking !

newrider.com