In a pickle, please advise!

Puzzle and Me

Apr 9, 2007
Okay, bit long but here goes!
Our dentist has advised that Puzzle would be good in a port and barrel bit with eggbutt rings (myler). He has a fat tongue
Riding instrucors (who have ridden Puzzle) say definitely a loose ring as opposed to eggbutt.
Now here the problem---- myler don't seem to do a port and barrel with a loose ring.
He is a young horse (5) who has some steering probs and can drift a bit, not as heavy on the bit as he used to be. Currently ridden in a single joint snaffle and a double joint gag (on the snaffle) which he prefers.
SORRY IF A BIT LONG BUT WOULD LOVE SOME HELP THANKS

I think there's some degree of trial and error and see what works, but to be honest, I'd follow the advice of a dentist before a riding instructor. Dentists tend to go off mouth shape. Riding instructors (in my experience) tend to go off textbook recommendations such as young horses need a loose ring snaffle to play with. Many of them don't have a clue and can't back up their reasoning with anything other than that's what they learned in their exams and they don't take into account the individual horse.

newrider.com