improving sitting canter very slowly

lindiak007

Jul 7, 2007
New York,USA
First pls excuse my English and maybe spelling mistakes...
I have got today fustruated a LOT because one of my trainers outside the USA (in Slovakia) has told me that he was cantering his 4th lesson and I am trying to do it long time and he can't understand what am I doing if I am not still sitting the canter and effortlesly do the transitions.
There is a bit bigger problem with the stable where I ride and the horses get lame easily and actually I do not have a lot of opportunities to canter. Also, the horses do not like the arena:)...So pretty flustruating horses. I know it sounds funny. And yes....I will change the stable....
Also in the USA, the school horses are usually over 10 years at least and here in Slovakia I am riding 5 or 6 year olds and mostly warmbloods/thoroughbreds.
Last 3 weeks I rode 15 different horses (at 5 different stables because I was travelling) and I really "like" if somebody ctitisize me when I am on the horse first time...
So just I would like to ask how long did it take you to SIT the canter:)
What about talented people?How long does it take them?
I have started to ride more than a year ago..
Thank you

Firstly, don't feel badly if you don't match his "canter in 4 lessons". You're a different person, with different opportunities. It could take 4 YEARS to canter, depending on your confidence level, skill, etc. When it happens, it'll happen, and not a minute sooner.
That said, I think that some trainers will wait until you've got the walk and trot PERFECT before allowing a canter, while others are more casual and willing to say "you're doing well enough, here's how you canter" and progressing at a faster rate while worrying the details less.
Not just your skills, but the health and soundness of the horses in the school will determine what gaits you will be able to ride, along with the arena size, school rules, etc.
Being able to ride a horse very well at ANY gait means time, patience, and PRACTICE. Until you've got time in the saddle at a canter, along with an instructor to help you find your seat and help you relax, you probably won't ride it effortlessly.
So many reasons why you may not progress as quickly as you'd like to, some or all might apply to your situation.
Best of luck!!

newrider.com