Im teaching other half to ride need ideas.......

joey_olop

I Love My Olops!!!!!
Jul 15, 2003
Sunny Slough!!
Visit site
OH decided he wants to learn to ride:cool: , I said I would teach him the basics but said he can go & have lessons once he mastered the basics:D

How do I start??:confused: :confused:

Ive started working on lunge with no reins so he gets to find his seat & leg position in walk.

Ive given him reins on the lunge so he can have a feel for the reins & how to keep a contact. Ive also let him off the lunge at walk so he can master basic turns & halt. He has started trotting but cant rise to it at the moment.

Any ideas how I can help him improve & where do I go from here. Do I carry on as I am for now until he has mastered walk & trot perfect or shall I introduce other things??

Help!!!!:D :D

Introduce other things ! It's not like when we were little girls and anything and everything pony was fun. I'm teaching my OH too and it's very difficult. He just doesn't enjoy being told what to do by me :rolleyes:

So, we change the tune a bit. He can refine his seat and legs and all that later, for now, he mostly has to be safe and have fun. I taught him to one-rein-stop, and emergency dismount ... and then I let him out ! He's not such a danger to himself and others because he knows he can stop ... so we go out and play. Changing his focus really helps him relax and feel the horse. Sometimes I get him to 'herd the dog' - so he has to engage brain and think it all out. Also, we're getting an enormous soccer ball - that seemed like the least unbalancing of all the mounted ball-games - the horse kicks the ball, so the rider stays upright in a normal riding position at all times. I take him out for rides on local trails ... anything like that to make it fun and not so much like a lesson.

Make up games for him to play. :) Like for beginners my old western instructor would set up barrels with buckets or batons on top and we would have to grab the object and go to a different barrel and drop it without losing our balance. We did it at walk and trot and it does help improve balance.

Also, a fun game is "filling the glass." Have a plastic pitcher half-filled with water set up on some high surface. Then have a plastic cup set up on another high surface somewhere across the arena/field whatever. Tell OH to pick up pitcher and carry it across to fill up the glass--all while trying not to spill it. Fun game although rider and horse can sometimes end up a bit wet.

They look great, Max would *love* one of them. Mind you, I spent £££on a new saddle yesterday so need to give bank balance a chance to recover before attacking it again!

But...that looks *so* much fun!

So are they particularly thick rubber balls then, because they look a bit like gym balls to look at...?

Sorry for hijacking your post joey:eek:

newrider.com