I'm so lucky!

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
The weather was foul here today - I think it was everywhere - & Jim decided he was coming back in at lunchtime. I was leading him up the road & first of all it didn't register but all of a sudden my heart sank - clip clop clip thud :(. I stopped & checked in the vain hope that the oot was just full of mud but no, he'd pulled a shoe :banghead:.

Amazingly he wasn't hopping lame - usually he's crippled if asked to walk a few steps without a shoe but this time he was merrily marching along, a little off if I watched but I'd expect anything to be slightly off. So I suppose that's a small bonus!

Put him to bed (or should that be got out of his way as he got in as fast as he politely could?) & phoned M. Poor guy is flat out with work & not in the area today but said he'd see what he could do - had I got the shoe? I said I'd look, but it's a big field & I wasn't hopeful. Someone must have been looking after me because I found it - most of the field is on steep banks & the few flat areas are mostly very muddy as they're round gateways, but he'd pulled it off in about the only flat, non-muddy area :confused:. Phoned M again & he said he'd try to call in & put it on, that really is a Godsend because Jim can't go out without a shoe.

I had to nip down the hairdressers & while I was there I got a text - he'd be about half an hour & since Jim was due to be shod on Tuesday did I want him to do all four? Yes please, you're a star! Said I may be a few minutes late but Jim was in & shoe was outside box.

Got there & he'd got him out & started, so made him a well deserved cuppa. Unfortunately he hadn't got the leather to do his pads so did I mind nipping over to the saddlers to get some? Of course I didn't mind! And did I want him to do LU (also due on Tuesday) while he was waiting? Oh yes please, no more slightly footsore coblet so I can hack again rather than lunge!

Interestingly Jim was quite happy to be stood for 40 min on chalk & flint floor with no front shoes on - I think he's happier on his feet than he has been for a long time & I really hope it continues. Less than a year ago the vet wasn't even sure he'd pull through his lami attack, M was the only one who was optimistic & even he wasn't making promises. How things change

I'm so so spoilt with how good this guy is. Both ponies reshod, confirmation that LU is just sore from too much roadwork on unconditioned hinds, Jim able to go out tomorrow & never a sigh or moan despite the fact that it's extra running around & a longer day for him. Jim bought him a couple of bottles of beer as a thank you - he loves his Uncle M!

In case anyone's wondering, it really isn't a farrier problem that has Jim pulling a shoe - watching the abuse he often gives them in the field it's a wonder they stay on at all :eek:

A good farrier is worth his weight in GOLD...........

sounds like yours is EXCELLENT and well worth the bottles of beer:smoke:

newrider.com