I'm so excited.... *updated...exciting indeed, maybe for the wrong reasons!*

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
... and I just can't hide it :dance:

On Wednesday I went for my interview/audition for a job as a part time karaoke presenter. Well it went ok. I was really nervous, it was just an informal interview and there was another woman there for it but she was a karaoke pro and I started to feel really out of my depth and shaky but both her and the owner of the company were really nice. He basically said that he could tell I could sing ok but I just had to practice and also find songs that were good for me to sing and also check which key I was singing in etc. So today I spent about 2.5 hours rehearsing in his function suite, picking 5/6 songs I could sing and tomorrow I'm getting to go out and be trained on the job. I just get money for expenses while I'm training, which is fine by me so long as petrol is paid for, but the money for a gig on a friday and saturday (which are the days I want to work) is really good. Hopefully my training will go ok and it won't be long before I'm out working myself :biggrin:

Last edited:
It definitely will :smile: and I'm just looking forward to having that little bit extra cash so I can treat myself every now and again, pay off debts quicker and then start saving!

That sounds like a really fun way to earn a few extra squids!

That's what I thought. I really don't want to have to spend my evenings collecting glasses or pulling pints. I think this will be much more fun and fairly laid back. I get bored sitting in on a friday and saturday night so this will get me out and doing something productive:smile:

Sounds promising - hope it goes well tomorrow! What is actually involved in being a "karaoke presenter", is it just singing or do you introduce other singers etc?

Sounds promising - hope it goes well tomorrow! What is actually involved in being a "karaoke presenter", is it just singing or do you introduce other singers etc?

You basically host a whole night of karaoke so you have to play music, sing a couple of songs throughout the night to get people going, encourage people to sing, introduce the people who are singing and just generally interact with the audience. You have to do a bit of setting up of equipment etc too. (and anything else that I find out in training!)

That would be my idea of hell ! I cant stand karaoke lol !!! but then again I cant sing to save my life so Im probabley just jealous !! :biggrin: Good luck with the job, sounds an interesting find!

Wow, that sounds like great fun. I would love to do something like that, but I can't sing to save my life!

Do you travel round to different venues or is it at a set location?

I always like a good night at the karaoke! I'm not exactly a brilliant singer but I always have a good time:smile:

Owner of the company was saying that he likes to put people in the same place on the same day every weekend for a few months, he said he doesn't like the idea of people staying in the same place too long but at the same time it is good for people to get to know the presenter (and for the presenter to settle into it, especially if they are new) etc. So I imagine I'll be doing the same couple of places each weekend but they do also get hired out for functions so could end up doing some of them.

Wow! Sounds great - you must be super confident! I'd never be able to do that job! Good for you and I'm sure people will enjoy you doing it. So long as you don't turn green - remember "Angel" from the noughties?! As in Buffy and Angel?! The Host was a magical man who helped people through their singing in his nightclub!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

Good for you Rubic, about time something nice started coming your way, I bet you'll have a great time and as Joosie said it would be a great job for meeting new people. I'm envious of anyone who has a good singing voice, I sound like a bag of spanners clanging together.

So glad things have started to improve for you, all the hard work is paying off!

What an exciting (albeit very unusual) job!! Does the extra money mean you'll have enough for a second ned or enough to make things a bit easier for you?

Ahahaha, well shouldn't have gotten too excited, wait until you hear what happened tonight....

It wasn't in the nicest area of the city but then I sort of expected that and I've stayed in a pretty rough area so I feel ok dealing with that. I was there well before 8:30 (to make sure I found the place ok etc) and about 8:40 the sound tech guy turns up with another guy in tow. I thought "oh this must be the guy who will be presenting the night while I help"... NOPE! Turns out he had just joined the company to do open mic stuff and it was his first night too. Sound tech guy shoves everything together really quickly and very briefly runs through a few bits and bobs. I felt a bit out of my depth at this point because there is no way I'd be able to set stuff up so quickly, I'd probably get it in the end because I'm not too bad with stuff like that but it'd be sheer trial and error. There were no explanations, nothing. Boss turns up and says we were to do open mic & karaoke together and play some songs inbetween. I thought he'd be staying the night to present/help us out or just to watch us to see how we did. NOPE! Sound tech guy and boss bog off and leave us to it for the whole night, sound tech guy said he'd be back at 11:45 to help start packing up. He turns up at 12:30 by which point I'd taken everything apart anyway. Oh and inbetween that we had stop it all to call an ambulance for a drunk guy who we thought was having a heart attack, turns out he was just so drunk he thought he was having a heart attack...Oh and I only got paid the £10 training money for the night so they basically made an extra £40 on the night by getting me to do it as "training". The open mic guy was getting a normal pay from it.

Anyway, the night itself actually went well considering! We managed a bit of everything and I think we dealt with all the drama fairly well. I'm not put off by the whole thing but I definitely feel let down with the training side of things. I don't feel I got much training at all... their definition of training is very odd! I do feel I was taken advantage of a bit, even if I got half of what I was meant to get on a normal night I wouldn't feel so annoyed but £10 was a bit rotten when I was left the whole night with no-one experienced.

So, I'm trying to look at the bright side of things! I got experience that I didn't have before and I haven't been put off. I had emailed another company about a karaoke presenter job and they seem to have much more information about themselves online so I do have a bit more faith in them. They emailed me at the start of last week to say they'd be in contact with me at the end of this week about arranging an audition so hopefully (using the experience I have gained from this "job") I'll do ok out of this other one! Ah well, you never know until you try!!!

Last edited:
That is rotten. I am sorry to say that many industries abuse trainees that way (catering is another) and I think it's despicable. I would have given your so-called boss a piece of my mind! But he wouldn't have cared.

Anyway, very well done to you for getting through it. You must have loads of grit and common sense! Good on you.

Oh this is a good sign Rubic. You've seemed so down lately (understandably) and that experience last night could easily have made you feel crappy cause it didn't work out for the best but check you out being optimistic about that it could help with the next job!

And I whole heartedly agree with jane re the trainee thing. I am one at the moment and boy do I feel like Cinderella, slogging guts out for little pay haha!

I'm not going to lie, I feel a bit crappy but I don't want to let it get me down, especially since there were some positives and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves! I'm really not the most confident person at all but I think last night proved to me that I can be more confident. I've now got another number off a friend so I'm going to phone them up and see what happens with that. I don't mind doing the training and being paid less at all so long as what I'm doing is actually training!

newrider.com