i'm not a girl - and suspect there must be more of us....

michaelsq

Must try harder!
Jan 27, 2002
West Yorkshire

Time for a moan i think..... ;)
i'm 16 years old. I've been riding since i was 5, and come from a horse-mad family. when I was at school (i've just finished) lots of my friends did not ride, and fail to see the attraction, and think it's a bit girlie. Last month, one of my friends asked if he could learn to ride (my parents have a riding school where i help out) and enjoyed it so much he's been back twice and has bought his own riding hat, but would rather have his eyes plucked out than be seen in riding gear. as i help out at the school and ride my own horse every day, i practically live in (pretty muddy and smelly) jodhpurs and boots, and don't understand the fuss. he admits that riding in jeans is uncomfortable, but would feel embarrassed wearing ridng clothes. Am i a freak?? :confused:, or are there more of us out there??

How strange! Jeans must rub like mad!!! I love my jods and chaps!! I dont care what i look like im doing something i love!! its not like the horse takes note of what your wearing!!!!! Love Kim x x :D :) :D :) :D :) :D

My other half (Steve.R on here) was also slightly uncomfortable to be seen wearing jodhpurs at first but now lives in them. His only complaint is the lack of choice in riding clothes out there for men and the fact that all the riding magazines show women all the time.

Wow, a teenage horse mad boy. You know, I've been looking everywhere for someone like you :D Sorry, I don't mean to drive you away, I am 15! Why can't there be people like you down south? :( I want a boyfriend who doesn't mock me going 'riding' :rolleyes: Which riding school do your parents own? I'm not going to stalk you or anything, but I might be in Yorkshire next summer :)

i used to go out wih a boy that did riding and he practically lived at the stables but he wanted me to go there like every day so we finished after 3 weeks.lol.it didnt help that they were 15 miles away either...
luv jess x

i know what you mean kyanya... i have had a horsey girlfriend (not in looks!!) who was a pain, and a non-horsey one who thought that horses are boring... and used to hate having to stand in poo etc. at the yard. Hey ho.....
Glad to hear that you're not a stalker... i've never had one of those..... it's a bit cold to be hiding in bushes and stuff anyway lol....

You're worrying me Michael, do you have experience at hiding in bushes? :p only kidding.
IN relation to your first comment, I do know boys who, although not totally horsey, ride once a week and have no shame in wearing jods. Then again, they are only about 12, perhaps maturity (!) will alter them!

I too prefer wearing jeans whenever I'm not riding, but I don't mind wearing jodhpurs at the yard. Seems like the case for the other male riders at our yard, too.
But none of us would want any association with the gay crowd that (apparently) flocks the larger dressage competitions.
That's the only time I'd feel self concious about wearing riding gear and tight breeches I think! I don't ride on the wrong side of the street, so to speak, and wouldn't want anyone else to think so either. But I'm constantly hitting on the cute yard girls so I guess I'd be allright :D

I've got so back Steve.R up on his complaints about lack of choice in clothing, though. If the UK is bad, just imagine what it's like over here as the stores are smaller and cater almost exclusively for the female dressage rider... :(

kyana: The official NR stalker :p hehe. No I think most of us horse mad girls are looking for riding boyfriends - a distinct advantage to the guys! michaelsq : just tell all your mates about all the girls at the yard who find a liking for horses very appealing in guys! I know 2 guys who actually took up drama and dance just to be with the girls there :rolleyes:
Anyway if you need anymore male powered incentive to ride just pm Santorium and he'll fill you in!

What riding school do your parents own? No, I'm not taking over Kyana's job, just wondering because I've been to Leeds a tonne of times and my horse riding friend used to live in Yorkshire, near Leeds somewhere.

Kyanya: boys who aren't "horsey" i find them plain out boring. They talk about baseball and i talk about horse riding the girls seemed interrested but then they said i smelled like a horse thats to bad lol i think i smell good:D my best friend is totally horsey and people at my ranch are the best i'm not saying that unhorsey people are bad but its nice spending time with guys and girls who are like me:) i've only seen a couple of boys at my ranch and they both where jods. One of the guys is really nice and you can tell that he doesn't care about being popular you can tell hes happy being himself:D and thats great:D right now i'm trying to be myself and after they told me i smell like a horse and made fun of me i don't care about them as much as i thought i did lol funny how that worked out.

Originally posted by kyanya
Wow, a teenage horse mad boy. You know, I've been looking everywhere for someone like you :D Sorry, I don't mean to drive you away, I am 15! Why can't there be people like you down south? :( I want a boyfriend who doesn't mock me going 'riding'

i agree !!!

Well I'm almost 50 & just started riding. I carry my riding gear to work & change before walking to my lesson. Then I go home on a bus & subway. The looks I get are priceless & I couldn't give a damn. A couple of times people have asked me ?'s like where do I play Polo? or where do I ride in NYC. There is only one stable on Manhattan, the one I go to. Once I'm good enough I'll be riding in Central Park!
I love my breeches they are so comfortable, I wish I could wear them all the time.

I think the fact that blokes find wearing breeches or jods a hard threshold to cross is because we oggle women in them and therefore associate them with the laydees. Anyway, since I crossed that threshold and bought my first pair, I now love riding in them. Jeans are OK but stretchy stuff is more comfortable.

I think ilovemisty sums it up well when she says it's nice to see someone who is happy enough in themselves that they don't care what other people think. Anyway, since taking up riding several non-horsey girls I know have asked me whether I wear them and so I think they harbour a secret desire to oggle me! Oh well nothing wrong with wishing.

Mazpup, we can share the role if you like!

I feel embarrased in my riding stuff in public (non-horsey places). Well, actually not the clothes, its just im normally scruffy if iv been to the stables, and thats shameful where im from. i want to be proud, its just difficult!

I wouldn't quite say it's shamemful exactly, but i'm not keen on walking around the supermarket smelling of horses. Being male, you do get some funny looks anyway, but if you're smelly / muddy as well then the looks get worse.

;) Never mind your battered pride, kyanya, just enjoy the look of horror on their narrow-minded faces:D

I wear my horse-clobber to the supermarket all the time, and sometimes people say things like "Are you a horse rider?", and then I say things like "Yes, how did you tell?". It's all very exciting.

newrider.com