Im looking for another horse

Wally123

Nov 1, 2015
I am on the lookout for another horse, Something new hubby can ride, I don't think that horse exists. Fákur has finally retired at a grand old age and is now pottering about with Tom and Tór.

If anyone hears, or knows an older horse looking for a slow down hacking only home, with a lightweight adult who is very slow and safe will you let me know? It like hen's teeth out there!

I'm off to Norway in January, I think I might look for a Fjord there and impot one. Or go and look for an Icelandic

So hard to come by aren't they. I will be looking for myself next year all being well. A smaller version of Zi would do me. I just want slow and steady. Good luck @Wally123

I wouldnt rule out younger. I started riding my current ultra safe but opinionated share mare two years ago when she was 9. In all that time I have had only one minuscule spook. She took fright at the shires in the distance.

Because she is not as old as my previous share (24) she has the energy to canter me. I only have to ask. I say Trot or Canter and she does just that. Bearing in mind that I am an ancient chair seat rider much derided on NR but safe and happy Wally.

By the way, I couldnt do with an Icelandic. I need to take the weight off my lower spine.

Have you thought of an ex RS horse for your OH? I suspect my current ride was an RS horse at some point as she exects to canter at the RS canter places.

I wouldnt rule out younger. I started riding my current ultra safe but opinionated share mare two years ago when she was 9. In all that time I have had only one minuscule spook. She took fright at the shires in the distance.

Because she is not as old as my previous share (24) she has the energy to canter me. I only have to ask. I say Trot or Canter and she does just that. Bearing in mind that I am an ancient chair seat rider much derided on NR but safe and happy Wally.

By the way, I couldnt do with an Icelandic. I need to take the weight off my lower spine.

Have you thought of an ex RS horse for your OH? I suspect my current ride was an RS horse at some point as she exects to canter at the RS

Have you thought of an ex RS horse for your OH? I suspect my current ride was an RS horse at some point as she exects to canter at the RS canter places.
No derision here - I get excited if I get a forward trot on Hogan!

No derision here - I get excited if I get a forward trot on Hogan!
Forgive me as I am old and vague. But I cant remember, is there any physical reason why Hogan does ot go forward for you in trot?
Two or three times I watched Mark Rashid help a rider get their horse more forward. Rashid explains that horses are genetically geared to save energy output. And it is often the first thing I need to do when I take a w t c test as I am given the oldest safest RS horse.
From a safety point of view I thought it a good thing to have Ella relaxed and completely slow like an old donkey. But Rashid teaches one technique to up one's own energy and thus up the energy of the horse.
If you dont like the trot. Come back to walk and ask again. Ella had this safety thing of needing kicking forward on every step so I returned from a hack more tired than she was. My solution is depedent on feel and fine judgement but pretty near the start of the hack (first or secod trot) I sometimes bring my whip down firmly on my own boot or even just wave it in the air over her shoulder so she can see it.
On the RS horse's if I had no whip I found that bringing ones hand down on one's thigh had the same effect as the whip.

But I sometimes wonder whether it isnt my fault? That my thumbs are not pointing forward and my hands relaxed. That the uncertainty of possible deer, dogs, people and trees means I am impeding her trot. I have fussed about rising trot ever since I learned to ride and my current style is minimalist. One of my first solo hacks I rode Ella very collected and with an upright rise, more like Jane does, and my hips hurt so much the next day that I never did it again.
The poor horse is in a no win situation. I get tired and fed up if she plods. But I frighten myself if she flies along. I think she much prefers canter to trot.

Hogan canters beautifully in the field, so it's definitely me. I'm working on getting him more forward - like you I have to leg on all the time in walk, and I feel I really have to get his fitness levels up, hence concentrating on trotting. I do still wonder if he's been used for driving, by those who want continuous long distance trotting. However - he is ultimately a really lazy boy, and I'm not skilled enough to get the best out of him - yet! Sorry Wally 123 - we've hijacked your thread!

@Huggy I was taught leg off a lazy horse, leg on a forward/reactive one. I know that sounds back to front at a first read, but when you think about it it makes sense. By keeping the leg off a lazy horse it has more impact when you do use it, you just have to have the discipline to only use it when you want a response and then make darn sure you do get positive reaction by using it sharply enough and allowing the horse forward. On the forward horse you want your leg always there cuddling their side, that way the aid can be more subtle and they don't overreact to a leg aid coming out of nowhere - it also keeps the rider more secure if the horse does anything untoward.

Having said that some horse are just very chilled out characters who's main aim in life is to do the bare minimum - equine couch potatoes who consider pressing a button on the remote control is sufficient exercise! No one and nothing is going to turn them into a get up and go type, though they can learn to be obedient, and it's better to enjoy them for who they are or if you can't then sell them to someone who will. I always get the feeling you love and enjoy Hogan, and that's the most important thing.

• Love
Reactions: Huggy
The way I see it - you keep your leg on a forward active horse to limit the swing of the barrel. The leg on is a different sort of leg on to what one uses to create or cue forward motion. It is more like the trot to X and halt in dressage.

@Skib you can't limit the swing of the barrel, you're sat on top of it so it's physically impossible because you're moving with it! As I said it's a cuddling leg for most of the time, passively in contact and not asking anything, but by being in contact the horse is aware of it and so there's a quieter response when it is used. That's the exact opposite of what you want from a lazy horse who ignores the leg, him you want to have a very clear cut aid that makes him sit up and take notice and a start startle response is no bad thing in some cases. I'm not opposed to giving a lazy horse a sharp "pony club" kick if that's what it takes to get a response, I wouldn't do that to a reactive horse not least because taking the legs away a bit to give a kick makes me far to vulnerable to a sudden surge forward or spin in response to the change in rider balance - if for some reason a stronger leg aid was needed it would be a slightly upturned heel nudge.

Reactions: Doodle92
I thought the swing of the barrel is a good thing. Better soft and swinging than the horse tense and rigid. You need to follow that movement. I have had 2 forward going keen horses. Robin needs to have you gently hugging him at all times. That gives him security and tells him you are with him and so he relaxes. If he feels abandoned then he gets worried and that’s when “bad” behaviour comes out. I say “bad” as he is not being bad. If he feels you are with him he will do anything for you. He has big movement and there is no way I could possibly stop that swing so I follow that movement which then allows me to stay with him if he does have a moment.

Minto was a different type of high energy and he needed me to stay very very still. The least little sniff and he would be off. I still needed to follow that movement tho and allow his body to move.

Reactions: carthorse
@Doodle92 and I bet on Minto you made sure your leg was always there because the consequence of a leg suddenly bouncing against his side would have been "interesting" 🤣

Absolutely. Sorry if that didn’t come across. Leg off then suddenly on = eekk! 😂. To be clear when I say “leg on” (on either of them) is leg sitting slightly on their sides. Not a continuous “go” aid.

Reactions: carthorse
@Doodle92 that's what I meant by a cuddling leg, one that's passively in contact but not asking anything. I guess people who've successfully ridden sharper horses will get it and those who haven't probably won't because they just see the leg as an aid.

newrider.com