I'm in shock...don't know what to do now.

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
went for a job interview today, half an hour into the interview with the MD and he practically told me I'd got it.
Didn't expect that I ....was only really going for interview experience.

Anyway it's about a ten minute drive from home, doing what I am now but for a smaller company, a LOT less hours per week. Very relaxed boss, can start/ finish when I want as long as the work is done.
However down side is that it it a lot less money pro rata than I'm on now ( as it's a smaller company) .
He's going to put an offer in writing on Monday for me so I have the weekend to think about it.

We can afford the loss in income and shorter hours would be great, however am I under valuing myself? Same job for less pay?

Reactions: Lissie
Firstly, congratulations!!

I guess it depends what you want out of life. Do you work to live or live to work? Personally, I have never had any career aspirations... It was always all about earning a bit of money. So when we moved up here and I gave up a full-time job with a fair amount of responsibility to be a 10-hour cleaner, I jumped and never looked back!! I love having so much spare time for my horses.

Dom and I always say "we may not be rich in the bank, but we are rich in life and love" The quality of my life has improved ten-fold.

Last edited:
Congratulations :D

When you factor in your travelling time and costs does the hourly rate look more appealing? I've taken jobs further away for more money in the past and not really ended up with more in my pocket when looking at it that way, with property and horses to look after myself time is very valuable to me.

Flexibility is a huge plus in my eyes, not having to take leave for the farrier, vets ect gives me much more leave to use as actual holiday :) and the opportunity to utilise low cost visit days more readily so that saves money on the back end.

Even factoring in travel time and costs it's less money, but the flexibility is really appealing.
I have worked full time since leaving college, no kids so no maternity leave or reduced hours while they are young. I feel as if I deserve an easier life now.
OH was initially dead set against it. However he changed his mind late last night.....but that was after a couple of drinks, so he may have had a re-think this morning
I will do the sums to see how much, if any, we are left with at the end of the month after all the bills and animal costs. I have decided that if we are left with £x I will take the job, if not, I won't!

Reactions: Jessey and domane
Congratulations!

Another thing to consider is less salary equals less tax, you may find that you are not that much worse off, I've always valued my time more than money but I appreciate not everyone is so fortunate, depends what's important to you and your family I guess.

newrider.com