im gunna ask 1 more question i promise hehe

backinthedays

ImCrazyFun&Mad
Sep 5, 2007
Costa Del Dover
right, i was looking into taking a farriers course as ive thought about it for ages but never done anything about it! ive got the info pack being sent out to me (i have to take a years course as i didnt get the grades at school) then a 4 year apprentice course with a farrier and college. because of my age (17) i can get fully granted the £11,000 the course would cost. but the only problem is that i need to pay for accomodation near the colege and farrier (i think) how do i go about finding a farrier that will take me on th be his apprentice?

does anyone know anything about this?

Would you not be able to get the maintenance bit of a student loan while you are studying? Thats meant for paying your rent and stuff like that. As for finding a farrier, i would ask every SINGLE farrier you know locally, and ask them to ask their farrier friends, and get a list of registered farriers in the area from the Society and write to or phone all of them.

I would have thought the college would be able to help you find a training farrier to apprentice with. Have you checked with them?

i ddnt no whether i could get a student loan?!?! if i can i will.
theyve give me a list from their website

http://www.farrierytraining.co.uk/ (click on how to become a farrier, then look on the list!!)

they seem to be dotted around everywhere

i know so far the college i have to attend is no where near me (theres 3 colleges i think) and that £75 a week shared accomodation

i need to pay £75 for a medical

also a deposit for the shared accomodation.

when i looked on the farrier list there isnt that many (i dont think anyway) do i have to go by that list?
or can i choose my own as the farrier at my yard is lovely and id love to work with him

if i could get a student loan that would be great ...

hey

just posted this on your other thread but will post it here as well.

i remember talking to one of the apprentices with 1 of the farriers at my old yard, and basically he looked on the farrier list and sent 200 odd letters out to different ones asking if they would take him on, he ended up having to move from england to wales, luckily the farrier he was an apprentice with had house or bedsit where they were able to live so didn't have to find accommodation.

hope this helps
lozx

newrider.com