Im doing an in-hand show on the 28th, advice please !

Demii

May 11, 2008
We both have no experience at all :eek: Lol She's great when I lead her round in walk but most of the time when I trot she tries to bomb (I let her get away with it when she's ridden because shes part Tb and its fast and fun :rolleyes:) Any In-hand show advice and tips on slowing her down ?

I'm guessing 'bomb' means bolt? Sounds like you & she need a lot of experience on the ground & in this environment before I'd bother with entering her in anything. Regarding allowing her to bolt when you're riding, just about all horses are part TB, so that's got nothing to do with it. It's entirely up to you of course, but to allow this to happen might not be fun down the track when she starts to expect you to allow it all the time. It's a hard habit to break once established too.

Well before you attempt any type of showing and as you have no expereince, you should attend as many shows as you can with your horse without entering any classes. Just pack a picnic for you and your horse and wander around and get used to the sites and sounds.

Then you can watch as many showing classes as you need to. Go home practice the movements and enter a class when you have done some preparation.

So many poeple go to shows without any preparation and end up having a battle with an anxious and frightened horse and then come away frustrated and angry.

Prepare and have fun.

newrider.com