I'm absolutely heartbroken and shocked

OMG, we were just saying in work how much better the response has been compared to earthquakes in other parts of the world though.

so sorry to read this awful news Cochise - praying for you, your family and all those poor people who are coping with this.

Ahh poor you and your family. Glad they are all safe though.

It seems to be one thing after another for your poor Australia what with the floods and forest fires and now this.

Thinking of you and your family at this awful time.

Saw it on the News this morning, been watching footage on Sky News - absolutely horrifying...

I'm waiting to hear from my friend who lives there.

It is really terrible. Like everyone else, my thoughts are with you and glad to hear your immediate family are okay. x

My Mum is doing okay having her neighbours dropping in. She's still without electricity and has limited water as all the pipes have burst. I have managed to call her a few times since and it's awful to hear the catch in her voice as I update her on the situation in the city including the death toll and injuries as with no power, she has no way of knowing what's happening out in the city.

I haven't heard from my Dad since, so I don't know how his house is, but I think he's ok. He's obviously going to be devastated as his business (he owns a bar) is crushed. To add more to this, the Hotel Grand Chancellor, the city's tallest building sits above his bar. There are reports that it is buckling.

My brother and sister in law have stayed in their house despite the damage. The kids stayed in their bed with them, completely traumatised.

My American cousin has been updating me and vice versa on Facebook as we hear from other family in Sumner and Taylor's Mistake. All alive, but two houses have been destroyed on Clifton Hill.

I finally heard from my best friend who is pregnant this morning. My form class at school witnessed me sob in relief as I got the text message.

Staff and students at school have been incredible even when I tear up. I'd rather be at work than sitting around waiting and watching the footage that rips my heart with every viewing.

Thanks for the messages of support, all we can do is wait and stay strong.

I'm so sorry for you and everyone caught up in this awful disaster. Thoughts are with you and everyone involved. xxx

poor dad, poor you. it's going to take such a long time to sort all the mess out, so he isn't going to have his bar for a long time to come.

very upsetting to think of people trapped in buildings, just hope they can get some of them out. you hope that the ones they can't were killed instantly.

there are really no words.

hugs.

((hugs)) Cochise

I've heard from my friend, she'd no power for a while, otherwise everything is okay with her...

The annoying thing is her email addy has been spoofed and I kept getting emails from "her" only to find it was spam, so when I got yet another email I was going to delete without reading - thank goodness I looked at it!

newrider.com